1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 hijet timing

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by pairofhounds, Dec 13, 2011.

1. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

ok, got the carb off and removed the bowl.. it was filthy with years of varnish. Cleaned it and then poured some carb cleaner into it and then actuated the lever into the plunger. At first it seemed clogged and then the cleaner began to squirt through the hole at the bottom up through small hole at top. Dont know if i clogged it by cleaning ir if it was already clogged. also, the 2 brass fitting on the jets. Is one of them solid with no hole? will go further tomorrow

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

:frustration:The work and effort your doing now will pay off many times in the future and might help get you home after a breakdown in the woods. Just learn what each part does and make sure its working right. The accelerator pump is just an squirt gun for instant extra gas and the float just keeps the fuel supply constant without overflowing and the jets meter exact amount of fuel for running or idle. :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  3. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Yeah I know ha. Are both the brass fittings on the jets supposed to be open.? One of them is solid brass...

4. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

If it is a jet it has a hole. Make sure its not a plug, that will be smooth, if its a tube with some holes its a jet and will have small hole in the bottom. A jet will be removable for inspection.

5. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

The accelerator pump has a tube if i remember right with a metal check ball in it and it has to rattle loose inside to work right as a check valve. Make sure its not stuck.

6. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

It appears to be a removable plug... don't know which is fast idle and which is main jet. The one with the the plug is obviously neither

7. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

No fast idle, idle is on top of the float bowl left under gasket and main is in bottom of float bowl if I remember right.

8. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

The small O ring is on end of the one that goes clear through the bottom of the float bowl.

9. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

The only opening in the bottom of the bowl is the accelerator pump?

10. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Hmmm, urs must be different. Do you have a long jet with wires on it through the float bowl?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  11. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Don't know right off. Will try to post a few pics

12. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

How do I post pics?

13. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

How much oil is supossed to be skeeting on the valve springs and inside the valve cover?

14. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Did I scare everyone away!!! Ha. Ok I believe I had a sticking float and that made fuel overfill the bowl...where does it go and how does it get in the crankcase and cause a no start???

15. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

picture your float like a toilet bowl..when the fuel gets to a certain level the float blocks off the fuel supply until it lower and then allows more in..same as a toilet tank filler..when the fuel keeps flowing in without being used it flows into the carb and then down the manifold where it leaks past the valves and onto the pistons..past them into the crankcase,,,now it raises mixes with the oil and raises the level in the crankcase...too much fluid in the crankcase slows down the engine as it is trying to turn over...also prolonged cranking will suck fuel through the carb into the engine again..if it doesn't ignite it either goes into the engine or the exhaust as the engine cranks over....it just causes more and more issues.....you can only work on 1 at a time or you will never find out which is the problem...if you have fuel in the oil, you need to drain it and refill with new oil..but you need to find out if the float is sticking first or you will be wasting time replacing the oil...there should only be a bit of oil puddled in the cylinder head when the engine is off and the oil has run back into the oil pan

16. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Rubber on end of float needle was cracked and falling appart and wasn't sealing

17. fupabox

that's the problem right there..hopefully you can find a replacement

18. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

any ideas? G&R Imports wants $200 for a rebuild kit that will take 4 weeks.... mights try to make and form my own,,,

19. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Ok got carb back on and new plugs. Starts fine and idles but blows white smoke everywhere! Also weak throttle????

20. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

More like bluish white

21. fupabox

if you changed the oil make sure the level is dead on..anything over the full mark can aerate the oil and push it into the manifold where it will burn bluish white...I'm betting you are just burning out the crap in the exhaust from the previous fuel problem..it will take a while to blow/burn all that junk out of the exhaust

22. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Also have air filter disconnected .. could excess air cause the smoke

23. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

What are your thoughts on sluggish throttle?

24. fupabox

sluggish throttle could be a result of a plugged exhaust...too much air won't make any smoke,but I would put the filter on to be sure nothing gets sucked in...

25. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Also check your accelerator pump, it should squirt some gas into carb each time you give it gas. You check it with engine off.

26. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Ok changed oil one last time and let it run for about 40 minutes on about 25% throttle. Smoking became minimal and throttle response is good but after another 10 minutes on it shut off and would not recrank. Carb still may be a bit rich and fouling plugs. Any secrets on how to adjust?

27. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

how can i check for worn rings?

28. fupabox

compression test or vacuum gauge

29. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

oil usage and wet and dry compression test, if its running good and not using a lot of oil then dont worry

30. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Ok ran okay for a couple of weeks now getting gas in the oil again

. I guess I will have to continue looking for needle and seat. my makeshift rubber seat I assume fell apart...