1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

88 Sambar KT6

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by RMAKES, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Civilsub

Civilsub New Member

just joined the forum and found your thread. I also have a KT6 (just purchased it). I have no paperwork for the wee beastie so I only know the model and number for the truck. I have already gotten tons of information from you. Looks like everything you have discovered so far is by trial and error. Mine is missing a carburetor, amid other parts. bought it for a project, little did I know. I do greatly appreciate all that you have posted. thanks

2. RMAKES

RMAKES New Member

Welcome to the forum! Happy to help. And glad to know I'm not the only one with a KT6 anymore!

Let me know if you get it running good and with what carburetor. Pretty sure I've talked about this on here but mine has kind of a dead spot in 1/2 - 3/4 throttle range for some reason, and I can't find any information on the carburetor. I can't even find jets, and if I could, a couple of them have the screw driver slot busted off so they would have to come out with an easy out or something, and that's a risky operation. Also, my muffler is rusted out, but there is an intake air diverter that routes intake air around the muffler while the engine is cold, I guess to help warm the intake and get off choke faster. I tried bypassing the intake air warmer thinking cold air = more power, but it ran like absolute garbage, even when it was fully warm, so hot air it is for now. But since none of these parts seem to be available, I plan on making a custom exhaust, eliminating the intake air warmer, and swapping the carburetor with one I can at least get jets for and tune. And hopefully that'll free up some ponies and smooth out the power delivery through the whole throttle range.

Anyways that's my grand plan at the moment.

3. Civilsub

Civilsub New Member

Thanks for replying. My goal at the present is to find a maintenance manual for the truck. The more I get into the truck it reminds me of a train wreck that I can’t take my eyes off. Like I said it is a project. I live in the mountains of Colorado and I am retired. Need to keep my mind and body agile.
    I have contacted Subaru America and have a case id for them to find a maintenance manual. I will post any updates on the manual search.

4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Subaru of America will be of little use here since the model was never sold here.

As for in Japan, it will be difficult to find manuals for the 5th gen at this point. They would pre-date the digitization of the manuals, so they would not be available via the print-on-demand services that Subaru uses for their dealers/shops. You would need to find an old-stock or a used set, which is going to be a pretty tall order nowadays. Your best bet is to learn how to search Yahoo Auctions Japan and look for KT manuals there.

EDIT: This search would work. I only see an owners manual and a maintenance log book up there right now: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?p=KT&auccat=2084005590

Civilsub likes this.
  5. Civilsub

Civilsub New Member

You are correct. They were no help. Does Daihatsu have anything to do with building the Subaru mini trucks?

6. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Daihatsu makes the Sambar after 2010 for vans, and 2012 for trucks. Anything prior to that date would be made by Subaru themselves.

I am not saying that it will be impossible to find, but it will be challenging. It took me a good amount of time to find most of the books for the KS/KV and TT/TV/TW platforms, and even then there are 2 volumes which elude me.

7. Civilsub

Civilsub New Member

It is just nice to have someone to bounce things off. You have been extremely helpful. I am slow but tenacious. I was a mechanic in one of my former lives. Working on this truck will be challenging and rewarding.

8. Civilsub

Civilsub New Member

thanks. Now I have to learn Japanese!