1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 or 2 wd selector stuck

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by trktrd, Nov 4, 2019.

1. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

The selector on the tranny won’t budge. Tried penetrating oil for a while but no dice. Would it hurt anything to use heat in that area?

2. Bert Stevens

Bert Stevens Active Member

I know you did but it doesn't hurt to ask... did you remove the lock bolt? I had to lift and axle to remove some pressure on the gear spines. and rock the wheel back and forth, first time I did mine. with use it has loosen up. have look inside http://jp-carparts.com/honda/partlist.php?maker=honda&type=ACTY TRUCK&cartype=28996&fig=M&fig1=800 pin on 6 moves in, notch on the end of 5, moving 7 in 3 . If any of that is stuck heat will not reach it. I woulds just soak the selector nut/shaft with lock loose and tap and soak, repeat some heat on the case could help. JUST note #25 seal is rubber. so just keep doing what you doing. It is probably faster to remove it, #30-31 bolts

3. Bert Stevens

o-ring #26 is gone with any amount of heat hot enough to help.

4. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Ok heat is out. Been soaking it with PB and Seafoam deep creep for a couple months now. (And yes removed the keeper bolt) Afraid to torque on it. It should move easily. No rust present so I’m thinking about opening it up to see what is going on.

5. Bert Stevens

take some pictures, I'm very curious what the trouble is. at least it is not that hard to get apart.

6. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Selector moving now. Didn’t have to disassemble anything. Apparently wasn’t using enough torque. Thought it should move easier. Was worried about breaking something. Must be why Honda never put an in cab selector.

7. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

A lot of times the old adage can be applied, "USE IT OR LOOSE IT"!

Lack of Maintenance, and Rust, and Corrosion, will set in, due to lack of Spray lubes, and Movement!

Benn using 4-wheel Drive stuff for 50 yrs. now, and was taught, early on to engage it once a month and roll freely, without turning, on hard surfaces,(pavement)!
    Limestone

8. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

I suspect the truck was never disengaged from 4wd since new til I got it. Makes me feel better driving on pavement now that I’m able to switch.