1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30 mpg?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by bumpas toy, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

You guys need to put some "seafoam" in the engine

Don't laugh!

Get a can, put 1/3rd in the engine with the oil, 1/3rd in the gas tank, and run the truck while you suirt the last 1/3rd in the carb while you run the engine.
    Don't worry, all the white smoke is normal.

Take it for a nice long drive and repost your results.

You WILL be pleased.

Steve

2. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

Another convert to the seafoam...it is sad that we are amazed now when products actually do as they claim...I love seafoam too:)

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

figured out my bigger truck gets about 25 on the highway with a lead foot and slight wind lol.

4. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

My last 2 tanks of gas netted me 7.5L/100km or about 37.5miles/imperial gallon. This was all city driving with pretty hard acceleration in the first 3 gears. I imagine that highway should see 10-20% improvement, but, I haven't tried that yet ...

5. That is pretty good you have a fine running truck. I hate to bust your bubble unless you are going to be driving about 70 km/hour on the highway your mpgs will be about 20% less.

6. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Yeesh, less on the highway ... I guess it makes sense though, I figure at 85km/hr I'll be turning about 4800rpm or so with my new tire/rim combo, I'm running 175/70/13 all season radials on 13x5.5" steel rims which are 22" tall. Well, I have hopes, but, I guess I'll just have to take a drive and find out ...

7. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

shift at 4 grand and get into top gear quick and drive it easy and 40mpg is easy (at 80kph tops) on the highway thats a different story at steady 100kph I get about 28-30mpg

8. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

I pretty much work my way through the gears shifting at about 4500rpm and get to cruise as fast as possible depending on traffic of course. That's pretty much how I drive the Datsun's too, except I shift at about 4000 rpm ... We'll see about the highway milage when I do it, I'm planning on a parts run down to Seattle soon and I'll probably take the Carry and see how it does on I5.

9. Stuff99

also constant shifting at same rpm range helps even out your score to.

wish i could get a bit better mpg on the highway though.

10. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

Please everyone, use US gallons when quoting mpg. The industry standard is USG since 1978 when we changed over to metric. Imperial gallons are pretty much dead in Canada to quote mpg, it creates to much confusion in the automotive market.

That L/100km stuff is crap too, what's wrong with km/L, that's the way the Japanese do it. We can blame the Ausies/Europeans for that one I think. Bloody government in bed with the auto manufactures, a numbers slight of had if you ask me. I think you can have a much better grasp on how far 15km is to a litre than 15L to 100km...... gibberish.

NON RANT:

On a side note, if your engine is healthy enough you can usually advance the ign. timing about 2-4 degrees safely to give you a nice little bump in power and better mpg. The idle tends to be a bit more stable as well, especially with AC.

Jon.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  11. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

My last tank average was 14km per litre......the industry standard is only USG in places where they use a USG...in Europe when they say gallon they are referring to the imperial gallon..same in Asia and Canada......but the easiest way is as you say km per litre

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  12. starpuss

starpuss Member

my last tank in the city i did 22 mpg. in -20 weather.

let it run for 5,min then drive to work witch takes 5min. then start it up let it run for 5 min then go home. i put on 10km's aday. when i go to work and back.

13. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

Nope, we have used the US gallon for mpg for 30years. Every since we stopped selling fuel in imperial gallons.

Km/L is really the best way to go. I have been reading some interesting articles from the US with regards to doing it in gallons/100miles and it's getting about the same response as a flaming bag of poo would....LOL.

Jon.

14. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

Ok the mpg thing has me confused..you mean when dealers state .on.. say an add for a civic..they give the expected mpg in US gallons ??

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Nope...

4L per Gal Imp - 3.7854L per US Gal

An Imp Gal will get you farther so it is used in fuel econo calculations..bigger number

Although, the US Gal measure is used for many things, milage is not one of them..

16. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

Hi everyone

there is 4.54L in a Canada (Imp) gallon. i was in school when the metric system came in so i still know how to convert back and forth. the Imp gallon is alive and well in Canada, i go by Imp MPG's all the time and its works well. i like the K/L's idea, the new numbers for my truck are 15.9k's/L highway and 12.3k's/L in town. :D

17. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

You know what, I was told that a looooong time ago about the mileage and never really thought about it ('cause I'm the type that could care less about mileage). I always thought the mileage ratings in the last 5 years or so (now that I kind of pay attention to that) were a load of crap, that there was no way a full size truck could get mileage that good. All this time I though that was based on a US gallon. (smacks head)

That means my 1996 LT1 V8 Caprice ex-ghost car is getting an astonishing 26mp(I)g average gas mileage compared to my buddies 2007 Nissan Altima that only gets 25mp(I)g average (3.5l v6). That's retarded that my tuned 2 ton boat is better than an almost brand new, lighter, smaller engined, mid size sedan. My Cappy will go 240km/h too (don't ask how I know).

Suddenly I am very, very happy with my tuning results on my CopCar.....incredible. I got 8.8km/L on my last tankfull, 70% hiway at 125km/h average.

I stand corrected gents, I still like km/L over L/100km though. I think the Japanese got it right and the Europeans/Ausies (and CDN Gov.) can stuff it.

Jon.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  18. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

14km per litre last tank:)

19. Stuff99

i only got 9.6km/l last trip. horrrible horrrrrrirble head wind and -30 or better wind chill and lots of idle time!

20. anthill

anthill Member

Been getting between 11 and 14 km/L the past few highway drives... strangely when cruising at 80km/h on side roads I seem to get worse mileage than at 100km/h on 4xx highways!

Maybe I'm just doing too good a job of drafting big trucks :eek:

BTW, http://www.fuelly.com is a really convenient way to track your long-term mileage trends. It clued me in to a worn distributor cap/rotor.