1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 Hijet Deck van no torque bottom end

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by randiduncan08, Dec 18, 2022.

1. randiduncan08

randiduncan08 New Member

2002 Daihatsu Hijet Deck Van 4x4 5 speed.
    Barely any power at low RPM, will die if not revved up. I mean like loading it on a trailer it won't load without a rolling start, or revving high then releasing clutch. Also, when driving straight on flat ground takes awhile to get into 3rd gear runs fine, once I shift up it slowly loses RPM in fourth until I absolutely have to shift back down. I use it fine around the house and at the deer lease but it is a tough run through mud when you stop and try to go again. EF-VE ENGINE GOOD COMPRESSION FRESH TOP END REBUILD ALL NEW BELT HOSES TIMING TENSIONER.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

You state "FRESH TOP END" - Verify timing belt, adjust if necessary and then verify ignition timing. Verify compression. Fuel pump pressure - clogged filter? Brakes dragging - check park brake adjustment?

Fred

Jigs-n-fixtures likes this.
  3. randiduncan08

randiduncan08 New Member

Yes I did the job myself and have checked it three times since install. It starts fine idles fine, just when in first let out on the clutch about 1500 rpm it will die or try too, if I give it throttle up to about 3000 it will slowly take off. If I'm running in third around 5000 rpm and shift up into fourth it will eventually start to lose rpm and I'll have to downshift back into third. I'm leaning toward clutch
    I will check fuel pressure and parking brake

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  4. fmartin_gila

Can't really picture any scenario that would involve the clutch as you are describing a lack of power. If the clutch was slipping, it would not pull down requiring a downshift. Generally low power complaints stem from 1 - low compression (rings not seated, valve adjustment, cam timing, etc), 2 - ignition timing, 3 - fuel not properly supplied (low pressure or volume, carb adjustment, float height, etc), 4 - brakes dragging.

Fred

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  5. randiduncan08

randiduncan08 New Member

The MAP sensor has shown to be faulty, but wasnt causing too rough of a surge like one would figure.

6. fmartin_gila

Did not notice you were talking about EFI vehicle (my bad). The carryvan I owned was a 2002 EFI K6A. At one point I realized it was losing power across the whole RPM band. I no longer own any diagnostic tools (scan tool, pressure gauges, etc) as I sold out when I moved to the Philippines in 2014 so just based on past experience I felt I had lost fuel pressure. I bought a fuel pump and pressure regulator and replaced them in the tank unit. Problem solved and back to full power running.

Fred