1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000 Daihatsu Hijet van with possible clutch problem

Discussion in 'Performance' started by BertieFox, Feb 15, 2010.

1. BertieFox

BertieFox New Member

Our Daihatsu hijet has served us well for nine years, but suddenly recently when towing a trailer it developed a major judder when I changed down into third gear.
    Now it is subject to a great deal of noise all the time and judders particularly in third but seems to labour in fourth gear and makes far more noise than previously.
    I took it to our French village garage but he wasn't prepared to look at it if it meant taking the gearbox apart.
    I know extremely little about motor vehicles but just wondered if any other Daihatsu Hijet owners might have some idea what the problem is. The extreme judder comes and goes, especially on longer journeys, and when towing. If I could identify the problem I could find out how easy it would be to get it fixed and whether it would be cost effective. The van has only done around 40,000 miles and I would be very sad to have to scrap it.

2. Looz nutz

Looz nutz New Member

judder

It sounds to me like the clutch plate took a dump and it took the throwout bearing with it. On the truck it is not difficult to change clutch but I dont know how difficult it is on the van. I used a suzuki swift clutch aligment tool if you cant find a Daihatsu one. Good luck.

3. BertieFox

BertieFox New Member

Thanks for advice on Daihatsu problem

:) Thanks very much for the advice on our Daihatsu problem. Our French village garage had never seen one before but I can explain what the problem is likely to be from your suggestion and he will probably be able to do something.
    Cheers.

4. BertieFox

BertieFox New Member

Severe judder problem with Daihatsu Hijet

Finally got my Daihatsu fixed by the local village garage. The problem was simply the transmission or prop shaft, where the bearings were worn. A replacement one would have cost a bomb, but our local guy managed to do some work on it which means it seems good as new. Still cost nearly 1000 euros though but worth it as it gives the van a new lease of life. At only ten years old but with low mileage it would have been a pity to scrap it.
    Another common problem of door locks jamming has been solved by liberally spraying the locks with WD40. I got three locks I haven't been able to use for two years or more going again.
    Delighted to have my little red van back working like new again, despite the cost.

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Glad you got it fixed! The WD40 part reminds me that I need to do that to another vehicle in the fleet...the back hatch won't open without nearly pulling your shoulder out!