1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1996 Mitsu U42T automatic speed sensor "Help"

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Sodbuster, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Sodbuster

Sodbuster New Member

Hi ya all !!
    This is my first post and I have a question I could not find. I have a 96 # model V-U42T HKDV . This mini I have is automatic and when this truck is going down the road it shifts fine. However after the second shift the truck acts like it needs another shift but it has none. I was told over seas these trucks have a speed limiter that keeps it from shifting allowing a much faster speed. I was told that on the automatics there is a black box the size of a deck of cards somewhere under the seat or on the frame rail or maybe under the dash. This box probably has a wire cut and maybe spliced keeping this truck from going into its final shift ? But I can't find this black box and any help would be great ,, any information would be so helpful thanks!!
    Greg

2. Sodbuster

Sodbuster New Member

Help !!

3. mdjackson

mdjackson New Member

Personally, I really don't have any experience with your model. I have learned to lookup parts from the MiniTruck Forums. Check the Russian page for the diagrams of your truck.

http://translate.google.com/transla...ttp://www.megazip.ru/ru/auto&biw=1920&bih=893

You can at least see what parts are where and try to find the black box you're looking for. Have you done the basics? Changed the fluid and filter? Run over something in the night? Making a new weird sound? Or, just not working like it used to?

4. Sodbuster

Sodbuster New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes all the most obvious check list looks good. Fluid is blood red and the truck shifts perfect it's just it's missing a final shift. It's got to have something not letting the trans up shift any higher and at about 35 mph the truck is maxed out on RPM need to keep your foot out of it.

5. mdjackson

mdjackson New Member

Did third gear ever work?

Search here for governor and speed limiter, there are lots of discussions on it.

6. Sodbuster

Sodbuster New Member

Found a few interesting things today. Looking up under the dash I found a metel box that has a sticker: MR176585 COUNTROL UNIT with the Mitsubishi badge. When I disconnect this box I don't loose anything ,, everything on the truck works " except" the transmission. The trans looses its shift points, now I can manually shift = first second BUT no drive. Than it will manually down shift =second than first. If I plug it back in the trans shifts just fine but it does not go into its third shift its like it is stuck in second gear.

Also if I disconnect the speedo cable the trans does not shift, only if I manually shift it = first than second but once again no drive it's stuck in second gear. This has got me thinking maybe there is something behind the speedo meter ? Like this black box that I was told about in my first post. Next I'm going to take a look at the speedo see what I can find.

Thanks for the reply, Greg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  7. Sodbuster

Sodbuster New Member

Did some more digging and I found a few things out.
    If I disconnect the TPS,, than take a test drive my 1st and 2nd shift come in much softer, I lose a snappy firm shift.
    If I disconnect the PRND21 selector switch that is mounted to the trans I loose both my 1st and 2nd shift " I manually have to up shift and down shift the trans, but it does shift.

Next I'm going to try to disconnect the speed sensor and see what happends.