1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994 mitsy left wheel drive

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Tuz222, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Tuz222

Tuz222 Member

hey i have a 1994 left wheel drive mits. its awsome but it only has a 3 speed with reverse. and tops out at 25 i drive it everywhere is there a way it can go faster like can i change transmission

2. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

Your truck Probably has a governor on it for a max speed of 25mph. most likely a plate welded in the tranny to keep it from going into a higher gear. I have heard of guys removing these, but i am not sure of how to do it, mine didn't have a governor when i bought it. Of course if you attempt to remove your governor you will be breaking the law.

3. Tuz222

Tuz222 Member

yea im not just curious how is yours like is it a 3 speed how fast does yours go with no governor

4. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

My truck is an 89' suzuki carry. I was disapointed when i found out it was the 550cc b/c the guy i bought it from called it a 94' with a 660cc motor. However i am very pleased with the trucks power and i have driven a newer one and the power is the same. My truck has a 6-speed, six forward gears one being a granny gear, and you cant forget reverse. I have manually locking hubs and i love them because i DO NOT get stuck. Anyways my truck will go 55mph. Of course it is against the law to do that so i never would try it.:rolleyes:

5. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

I never heard of a three speed mini and rarely hear of left hand drive, anybody else?

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Yes, there are a few out there. They are U.S. spec vehicles, and his three speed transmission will be a true three speed. He will not be overriding any governors, because his particular truck was designed to be mechanically limited. If he wants to swap out a tranny, he would have been better off finding a RHD truck, and buying it instead.

7. Tuz222

Tuz222 Member

but i love my truck so i dont want to sell it. i have it loaded with everything. anyways can i swap a tranny and make it a 5 or 6 geared mits. will it be hard to swap... my mits is a 550cc and if the other guys goes that fast then my knew tranny will make it that fast... NOT that i would go 50mph anyways please answer back Thanks soso much

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Find a transmission, bolt it in. The trick will be finding the transmission. 550cc trucks are rare birds. Getting orphaned major parts for them is worse. This will also end up meaning that if you are lucky enough to find a transmission, you will be paying very dearly for it.

9. Tuz222

Tuz222 Member

alright i got a transmission its a 4 speed and will make my truck go 10mph faster so thats good but if anyone else has better or can help me please do so thanks guys

10. slimbad

slimbad Member

Tuz222,

hey, was wandering if you made the tranny swap and what were the results??? also what was the tranny out of/where did you find it?

i and my cuz both have LHD mits' (mine 4x4 dump-his 2wd no dump) both are 94's and have the 550cc-3G81 engines.

the governor system is pretty complicated - basically in your electrical system (ignition switch is tied in to the speedometer reed switch, a vehicle speed limit control relay (little rectangular box under dash-pax side), that in turn routes to/thru a fuel cut solenoid valve, tied into a fuel pump control unit and ultimately the fuel pump (this is according to the fuel circuit diagram).

i also have an english-version of the service/shop manual, if i can be of assistance in looking anything up for you or anyone in the forum let me know......regards, slim

11. Tuz222

Tuz222 Member

so did you get the governor off.. will it go faster if you take it off, how much if so. thanks alot

12. jeffbwfo

jeffbwfo New Member

help with no spark

hey slimbad i'm new here but i got 2 Lhd mits today with the 550cc 3g81 got no spark from any plug wire or coil wire relpaced all fuses and fuseable link test ok if you could send me some wiring specs or any info would be great thanks

13. slimbad

slimbad Member

Jeffbwfo, Welcome and glad to see more people getting these strange lhd vehicles. First, if the fuseable link and fuses are good check and make sure you're getting fire to the ignition side of the coil (when key is on). If not try running a hot wire direct from battery to the ign side of coil and see ifn you're getting any sparkage. If so you may have to start back tracking your wiring. I will try to post some diagrams as soon as i figure out the secret handshake to that process.

For Tuz222 in previous post (sorry I didn't catch it sooner) I did remove the rectangular box under dash (fuel control unit I think) truck went a short distance and died. I guess it sensed it was disconnected and let it run out of fuel. I plugged it back in and it fired back up. Still don't know about. I am still trying to figure the governor out. I plan on disconnecting it and seeing how it does at the next local bog-in (be a hoot to see how it does in some "competition mud"............later, slim

14. jeffbwfo

jeffbwfo New Member

slimbad ,
    jeffbwfo here again thanks for the pic. but if you will look and see if theres a pic. for eletronic dist.i think the one you sent is for points or so it looks to me but i do appreciate all you done thks jeffbwfo

15. slimbad

slimbad Member

jeffbwfo, i been rethinkin' the distr fire prob, at some point both sides of the coil shud read hot - that is to complete the circuit for the primary winding in the coil to charge up. when the points/breakerless system cuts the link it allows a discharge via the secondary winding of the 20-50,000v to fire to the plugs. maybe something in the distr?? also are your trucks 2 or 4wd? if you let me know i can send you a diagram of either to complete the hook-up of the engine. and as far as the one that is slightly smoking, my cuz had a prob with smoke and loss of compression. dropped engine and put new rings in and it purrs nice now. let me know how it's going - somehow with the help of this forum we'll get you running....later, slim

16. jeffbwfo

jeffbwfo New Member

yea i'am with you there but with just the switch on i dont think it should have voltage on both sides but when you turn it over i thank so voltage on both sides but i'am not shure will get one way or nother thanks jeff

17. Dan

Dan Member

(fleet of 25 1989 and 1994 lhd mighty mits highcabs) 1989-2004

speedo calibration shops... 2:1 reduction (other ratios possible) attached to the transmision will cut the cable speed in half...25 sensed 50 mph actual. no system alterations. simple bolt-on between the cable and the trans. buy a decal set to change the #'s on the dash

Check the american lhd trans case. some of mine (1994's) were delivered as M5's (cast in the passenger side of the trans by the speedo) but later altered by the vendor and blocked internally to reduce it to a 3speed.

18. slimbad

slimbad Member

Dan, welcome aboard, I see you have a few lhd's. I have a u15t and my cuz has a u14t. I was wandering where you are located. And would like to know more about the transmissions. My cuz and I have been debating tearing one apart because we believe the trannys are really four spds with 4th locked out internally. Also would like to know if your stock is 3g81 or 3g83 engines..........later, slim.

19. Dan

Dan Member

hey,
    I'm located in lasvegas, nv...
    I think you're on the right track. Some of the american imports arrived with no limitations on the transmissions. The dealer came in my shop a week or so after they were delivered and spent some time under each one "fixing " that extra gear "problem"...
    When i bought our fleet of 94's new, they arrived with a 4 or 5 speed manual tranny. I don't remember exactly now, 14 years later... I just remember what a ridiculous waste it was to have more than 3 gears on these because they were limited to 25mph. Over the last 20 years, i have never had a tranny fail to the point that i had to open it up further than the shift rails to fix it. I didn't have any desire to re-enable the other gears while they were on the golf course. but now that i have a few in my garage at home, i'm going to open one up to see what i can do or undo. also out of necessity, one of them is failing for the first time and grinding its rev gear and won't back-up. I'll be taking a shot at this in the next few weeks and let you know what i found inside. I know that there are 3 shift rails, which gives it capacity for 6 gears. 5 fwd and 1 rev.....

20. jeffbwfo

jeffbwfo New Member

manual for mitz.

:frustration:dan just wanted to know if you have a manual for these mits trucks i have two 1989 and can't get no spark out of coil or plug wires have power to coil primarys both sides (+) and (-) and i don't think this is right with just ignition switch on but not sure any help would be great or a wire scematic no points in this system but it does have some kind of electroinc box behind left front fender well i can't figure out how to test this and it drivin me nuts please help if you can thanks jeffbwfo:frustration:

21. Dan

Dan Member

The coil does pass voltage across both terminals. thats ok. turn the key off and check resistance. + to - should be about 1.4 ohm for the primary and to test the secondary look for 10.2 between + and the center of coil.(pull out the fat coil wire and boot).

look for the external resistor to have 1.35 from end to end. if they are all fairly close to these numbers, then start looking for an open in the wiring from the -side of the coil. something is not grounding the circuit to excite the highvoltage in the coil's secondary. that electronic box on the wheel well is the ignitor, and i have never bench tested one of those and the service manual doesn't get into it either.. right above it under the seat frame are two more fusable links to check. inspect the pigtail at the distributor. I'll try to pdf the schematic to this post too. im not sure how this forum works yet. good luck....hope this helps

22. Dan

Dan Member

send me your e-mail and i'll send the schematic. i can't figure out how to shrink files enough for them to pass through here

23. jeffbwfo

jeffbwfo New Member

dan thanks alot. you know about the resisitor i can't find one on either truck that kinda wild. there is a place for one on the coil bracket but no resistor or wires i thought it most be in the electronic box we were talking about. i have checked both fuseable links,ign.switch fuel pump relay and everything else i can think of with out scematic i think your right about maybe a ground somewhere not grounding or something like that. anyway thanks to you and slimbad for the all the help yall have give me. i here all this talk about these trucks i just want mine to run so i can come out and play my email jeffbwfo@bellsouth.net and if it help my are 1989 lwd 550cc got mine from golf club here in alabama also with no doors on mine .thanks jeffbwfo

24. jeffbwfo

jeffbwfo New Member

:)dan hey thanks alot for all you sent me that page 16-19 might just give me what i need if you notice on that page it looks like what i got but read on a few pages later and it talks about points dist. and my has another pig tail at the coil thats not on the wiring digram i thank they may have had a few diffrent systems on these things but with all said the only thing thats missing there that runs through the system is fuel pump control unit and i think i may be able to figure is thing out with this info thanks you very much ...jeffbwfo

25. stewart1981

stewart1981 New Member

Hey everyone, well I am a new Mini owner myself as of today. I have no idea where to ever start with all of this and never have tried to take over a later model over-seas vehicle. I would love to have that wiring diagram if possible that you all were talking about. I am having the same problems that you all were describing. I also am trying to find an owner's manual so I can begin to service the truck and such. I am needing to replace a few belts and I have also read already about spark plugs but I have been searching all night for a manual. Can anyone help me out with this or what I need to do or where to start. Thanks everyone...

26. Dan

Dan Member

Stewart1981,

Tell us more about your vehicle...year, model, engine type/size...The info i have accumulated is for the americanized left hand drive imports prior to the mid 90's. with the 550 motors.

Dan

27. Dan

Dan Member

I took apart a mitsu "3-speed" transmission yesterday and found something interesting... I posted the pictures in my gallery tonight with some commentary. Just thought i'd share with all of you that have the lefty's and a 3 speed.

28. slimbad

slimbad Member

Dan, you are the Man! The photos in your gallery are great it sure helps to be able to look at what is being described. This makes sense. My cousin and I were zeroing in on this problem. It just wouldn't make any economical sense to develop a true 3-spd for the relatively few % of these lhd types when they could easily modify an existing tranny already in production. Plus, the shift pattern didn't make sense if it were a dedicated 3spd. And that little space where you wanted to shift into the phantom "4th" gear (on the low side between 2nd and reverse). I will see my cuz when he gets up and we'll sked some outpatient tweaking on our leftys. Thanks again, nice documenting of the process, later.....slim

29. barneyrb

barneyrb Member

Dan,
    What are you saying? Everything is in the tranny to be a 4 speed and all it takes is to remove that collar the blocks the shifting rails?

30. Dan

Dan Member

Exactly! In the parts manuals and service books, even the stickers on the inside of the cab. It refers to the fully functional 4-speed. It is a 4 speed with an extra collar on the shift rail to limit its travel. The extra piece is the only thing keeping this 3-speed from being a 4-speed.