1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1992 Carry Carb Flooding

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by spyder328, Oct 23, 2019.

1. spyder328

spyder328 New Member

Hello, we have a 1992 (?) Carry 4x4 at work that I have been trying to get back up an running. Earlier this year it ran fine then all of a sudden it started having issues flooding out. I took the carb appart and cleaned it thoroughly. All carb settings (including float height) have been adjusted as per information read on this forum and the choke does work correctly. Plugs have been cleaned and gapped as well. It currently pours gas out of the mouth of the carb when trying to start. It fouls out spark plugs after a few seconds of cranking and if it does start it bogs out and fouls the plugs in about 5 seconds. I am losing my mind. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could look for? Thanks

1992 (?) Carry 4x4 F6A DD51T

2. rugerman

rugerman Member

Have you fixed this problem yet or made any progress? I'm thinking about this and nothing is coming to mind. Nothing that would come on that quick except a vac line coming off somewhere.

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Obviously the needle valve which the float is supposed to close, and stop fuel flow isn’t stopping the fuel flow into the bowl. A couple of things come to mind:
    1.) The Float has cracked and taken on fuel, which is keeping it from rising, and pushing hard enough to close the needle valve.
    2.) There is some kind of debris in the needle and seat assembly which is preventing it from sealing.
    3.) The fuel pressure at the carb inlet is too high and flowing past the valve. Typically carbs like about 2.5-psi.
    You can check it with a test gauge. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6VT4MZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_7hIZDb3VDPD5F

If you have a mechanical fuel pump, with a fuel return line from your fuel pump to the tank, that line could be plugged or crimped. This could result in too much fuel pressure. The fuel pumps used to have internal relief valves which limited the discharge pressure. On the modern ones, the relief valve feeds to the return line, and back to the tank. If the return line is plugged the pump will over pressurize the carb.