1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 carry odd knock

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Akdrew, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Akdrew

Akdrew New Member

Never been on a form before but, I just got this truck at an auction and at idle it doesn’t make the sound only once accelerating I attached a video if anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate the help thank you

2. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Well I’ll be a wise guy and say it sounds like you have a diesel.

An old VW I had made that sound and it was a engine rod bearing that had slipped.

3. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

If it hasn't thrown a rod yet it's going to if you keep running it.

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Had a chevy S10 make that same noise many years ago. Turned out that a rod bearing was worn enough that the bottom half had turned & doubled on the top side and the piston was hitting the head.

Fred

5. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

So, what did you find out about your knock?

6. Akdrew

Akdrew New Member

New bearings are on the way, I haven’t pulled it apart yet to look at the old bearings

7. PedroNZ1

PedroNZ1 New Member

Yep little guy in there with a big hammer, time to rebuild that motor, I'd go for a full rebuild, as I don't like a partial, as you don't know the history, and can end up chasing your tail fixing faults.
    Have fun with it.

8. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

So then how do you know what size and if the crank is usable?

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I think that maybe we need a thread on basic mechanics, of things which are applicable to all the trucks. Each truck model has its own little things that are different. But, ninety-five percent of how to rebuild the engine, and basic mechanicals is identical across all engines. Things like tearing down components, checking them for reuse, installing bearings, etc., is common to all internal combustion engines, and varies little by manufacturer.

PedroNZ1, Botl01 and David Ogden like this.
  10. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

Yes. I just did my Sambar engine, didn't take any pictures. Had to have the crank ground .25mm on the mains and .50 mm on the rod journals and it wasn't knocking anywhere near as bad as the OPs.

11. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

David, how much trouble was it to pull the motor on your Sambar? How long did it take? Mine is doing ok so far, just curious.

12. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

i stripped my 91 4x4 last year, completely down to bare frame and completely stripped cab (dash completely taken apart, diffs/subframe out, everything) was about 6 hours as in the picture. engine alone, its 1000x easier to remove the box first. box is about 10 bolts, spare tire carrier, and a few wiring harnesses attached to it to remove. after that, its just a few mounts, wires, etc to take the drivetrain out. its way easier to take the trans/engine/xfercase out as 1 piece and split them outside of the truck. i found it far easier to remove the clutch cable and throttle cable from the pedals inside the cab vs removing them off the trans/throttlebody as well

if you have a hoist, remove the box then unbolt the drivetrain and lift the cab off the drivetrain. if youre on the floor, cherry picker works fine to lift the drivetrain out

[​IMG]

Botl01 likes this.
  13. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

Taking it out I had pulled the head before I found how bad the crank was so I unbolted the block and lifted it out through the top. I had the bed off when I put it back in so I installed it complete. The hardest part was unbolting the right engine mount from the block. Probably took an hour to pull it and about the same to put it back in . Keep in mind I am very good at this stuff, no brag, just fact.

Botl01 likes this.