1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1990 Carry DB51T 4WD Shift Controller

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by pdavies, May 10, 2012.

1. pdavies

pdavies New Member

I have been having problems with the diff lock on the Carry. It seems to want to just switch on (diff lock light comes on and will not switch off) when driving and makes a hell of a bang if this happens at speed. I found the controller (part #38885-85021) and removed it (for anyone that wants to know it is under the dash right behind the glove box).
    What I want to know is can I safely run the truck with this controller removed? At least until I can find a replacement. It was scarey running the truck when this diff lock just engaged on its own, sounded really bad and like something was going to blow up. I'm thinking I can safely run in 2WD and probably even 4WD just won't have a diff lock? Is this a correct assumption? And finally does anyone know where I can get a replacement controller? I have heard they can be very expensive?
    Thanks, Phil

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the bang coming from the front, or from the rear?

3. pdavies

pdavies New Member

Actually I'm probably describing the wrong thing, the light that was coming on says Axle Lock. It sounds like it comes from the rear, but on occasion it seemed to come from the front. Anyway with the controller out it seems to work without damage so I can wait to get the controller I need.

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

The axle lock system has an auto ON, the diff lock system has as auto OFF.
    The axle lock system can be engaged at any speed, the diff lock can not.
    What you're saying now makes sense.
    I'm curious why you think the "controller" is the problem.

The auto ON, of the axle lock system is designed to alleviate you of the need to press the axle lock switch after having pulled up and/or engaged the 4wd system. With the lever UP, the axle light should be ON, and pressing the button does nothing. After pushing the handle down, the button works again and the axle lock may be turned OFF. On or OFF, On or Off. Handle up, auto ON, no button function.

A micro switch is located on the 4wd shifter. Two wires run from this switch. The switch could be faulty or out of adjustment.

And no, if the axle light is not on, you do not have 4wd. If you want to be sure of it not engaging until you get it right, then pull the vacuum off the front diff.

Hope that helps you out..

5. pdavies

pdavies New Member

I thought it was the controller because I found a posting on a different forum that described my problem and that was his fix. I had first investigated linkage, vacuum and the related micro switches and could not find the problem or duplicate the issue. But when I took out the 4WD controller and opened up the box and re-hooked it up then with just the lightest tap to one of the micro control switches the problem could be duplicated. There are 2 little black boxes on the board, which I believe are some sort of micro switching controlling wazzamacalits (sorry don't really know what they are called) but if I fiddle at all with one of them the axle lock engages. I took it down to a shop that suggested that that was indeed the issue as they have lots of experience with JDM Toyota 4X4's and they are very prone to a similar problem in a similar controller assembly. Now to find a replacement. Is there some way to hard wire a fix?