1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14" wheels & tires on Sambar - no lift

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by 350v8s10, Oct 20, 2008.

1. wasco

wasco New Member

Shimmy ??

Today I changed the 12" tires for some 14" wraped with 185-60R14 tires. At 80 km/h, I thought the wheels would come off the truck ! They started to shimmy like crazy. Do you guys with the same set-up have the same problem ? There is no shimmy with the 12" wheels even at 100 km/h.

Second thing I noticed while checking the speed with my GPS is that with the original 12" tires, the indicated speed on the speedometer is higher than the real speed of the truck. I would get 87 km/h on my speedometer and 80 km/h on the GPS. Is it common to all mini trucks ?

2. Colin

Colin Member

No shimmy whatsoever with my Sambar. The only difference in drivability is slightly slower acceleration, due to the higher weight and marginally greater rollout distance of the 14" tires.

I'd imagine the handling is also impacted slightly by the greater unsprung weight, but I don't autocross pickup trucks. :D

Colin

3. wasco

wasco New Member

Thanks...

Thanks Colin... I'll look at my front linkage system and try to find something loose.

4. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

The 14s should ride as smooth as glass with no shimmy. Look for loose steering box, loose tie rod end(s), loose wheel bearing(s), worn A-arm bushing(s), wheels not bolted on flush, lug nuts loose, poor wheel balance, and an out of true tire. Any of these can cause a shimmy.

It is also common for a manufacturer to make speedometers err on the side of the speed shown being higher than actual speed (by 3-4 MPH or so) . Going to a larger diameter tire will change this. Most commonly, going to oversize tires will result in the vehicle traveling faster than the speedometer display. In your case, it may just be enough change to where your speedo display speed and your true speed are the same.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  5. toomanymachines

toomanymachines New Member

I put a set of 185/60r14 dunlop winter tires on my daihatsu heavy dumper climber. I have a two inch lift and had to fold the bottom back lip of the door in. Everything is good so far. i did balance my tires, that may avoid some vibration on the road.
    I also have a groover and grooved half of every second lug off. to make them a little more off road viable. I think I will take the whole lug off, to make it more aggressive.

6. Subaru_Ferdi

Subaru_Ferdi New Member

Do you have any clearance/turning issues running 185's on a stock height Sambar?

7. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

They do not have any clearance or turning issues using the wheels I used.

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

don't forget to check the backspacing out!! if you have too much + or - it can be hard on your wheel bearings and cause it to shimmy!!

also a whacked rim can do that to. find a place that balances rims!

9. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

good post, does anyone know the maximum width of 14" rim with a 2" lift that I can use. Thanks in advance

10. jlechner

jlechner New Member

Like my Sambar

I have a 97 Sambar with a 2" lift that I installed a while ago. I didn't have any problems with the rear cv's until I removed the pass side to replace a torn inner boot. Maybe I pulled it out when I was putting the spring back in with the extension . I am thinking about pulling the lift kit off. Will that size tire and wheel fit on my 97 Sambar with no or minor mods, and will it lift the Sambar almost as much as the 2" lift did ? It should go down the road better than the 4 wheeler tires and wheels that I put on it since the lift kit has screwed up my camber and castor ? I would appreciate any help on this. Also is that about the tallest tire I could put on without rubbing too bad ?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  11. shopteacher

shopteacher Member

Just wondering if a 185 X15" is the same height as a 185X14". I seen a set of wheels with a 4x100 bolt pattern but they are 15". Would they work on a 1998 Highjet? Does using a 14" wheel and tire give more ground clearance than the stock 12"?

12. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

It all has to do with the aspect ratio. But generally speaking, no they won't be the same size. A 14" wheel with an appropriately sized tire might work but it will have to be a relatively low profile tire. A 15" wheel/tire would really have to be low profile. Generally, you can go a bit larger than the stock little wheels but you do need to watch out for clearances to the shocks, fenders, all that stuff. Check out the link to my HiJet in my signature to see how I did mine.

13. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

good post, thanks

14. mtslesse

mtslesse New Member

Hi guys, looking to do almost the exact same thing on a 2000 Suzuki Carry DB52T.

I found on the Discount Tire Direct website a set of wheels 14" x 5.5 wide, with a 35mm offset (4x100 bolt pattern), and a set of winter ice radial tires 175/65R14. Pretty much the same set up as 350v8 went with, but with a narrower tire.

I haven't found if that set up would work on the Suzuki, looks like it works great on Sambar. Any experience/opinions welcome!!