1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Tire and Spring Dimensions

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Techspec360, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

Hey guys,

I searched long and far to come up with a wheel size and tire to replace the stock without mods and a lift. Can anyone confirm a few things below for me?

Wheels:
    - 12x7-12 with 4/114.3 lug pattern and 3+4 offset (hub bore size needed??)
    It looks like most people seem to run 4+3 but I don't want to have to trim anything and prefer not to have them stick out that far.
    Will 3+4 work or should I be looking at 12x6 3+3 to avoid inner clearance issues?
    And anyone know the hub center bore size?

Tires:
    - 23x8x12 Maxxis Ceros
    Seem to have a decent load capability (6-ply) and lesser aggressive but still plenty mean tread. May offer better pavement manners and less noise but still aggressive enough for snow/rocks/mud.
    Will this tire size be too big for stock height?

Springs:
    I am thinking of installing a stiffer front springs, from what I've been able to gather I think stock is 150#? Anyone able to confirm that?
    I was eyeing some progressives that are 180-250#.

Appreciate any help!

2. siren676

siren676 New Member

Which year/model do you have?

Techspec360 likes this.
  3. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

1990 Minicab 4WD Dump

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Techspec,
    Search the forum, a lot of good info on what your looking for.I went with a lot of the same set up, that you are looking at. I was able to gain a lot of info here on the forum. Jigs and fixtures, put up some great info that helped me out on the front springs. I went with the maxxis cerros 23"x8x12 front and 23x10x12 rears! My first choice was Carlisle versa trail, but I couldn't get them in 23" ! It's all about what you want, and what your willing to do! I went with progressive rate springs, in front, (175/350) for the snow plow option with winch. Again a lot of research on the forum, and a lot of choices! Good Luck!!!
    Limestone

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  5. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

I’ve searched and read for more hours than you would believe - this site, Google, FB, every mini truck accessories seller, wheel application/converters site, etc that I could find. Trust me not some slack that just posts to forums looking for easy answer...

Limestone likes this.
  6. Limestone

Tech,
    Hahaha, Sorry, not trying to sound like a smart '[";#,! I did put some basic steel wheels, 3+4 offset, 2" wheel spacers, (4x110 bolt pattern) on my 89 daihatsu hijet! I'm sure that my bore, ctr hole dia. is diff. than yours! I went with a 2" lift kit, not wanting to go higher. Keeping any additional stress off of the cv's as possible!
    Limestone

7. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

Yeah I get it - I’m 4/114.3 which is more rare and too that with not knowing the center bore size to fit the what appears to be larger mechanical locking hubs (non-vacuum style).

I’d like to get the correct size hub center dimensions so the weight of the truck is on the hubs and not the lugs.

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

4x114.3, is 4X4.5. Actually pretty common on some of the older European, and American compacts.

US Wheel, in Huntington Beach, California, does custom steel wheels for rare collector cars. The cost depends on if what you want can me made from their stock components. You might give them a call.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Techspec360 likes this.
  9. Limestone

Just a thought, I think if you use wheel spacers, it will in most cases eliminate the dia. issue. Plus if you want, you can change your bolt pattern. I am strictly talking off road, as in my application. I wouldn't do it if it was going to be my everyday driver, on the freeway! FYI Good Luck!
    Limestone

Techspec360 likes this.
  10. Steven McCullough

Steven McCullough New Member

Did you ever find the bore size? I have a 85 minicab with stock wheels. Just ordered some 24x8-12 ATV tires and I think I am going to need to use spacers for the stock wheels. Only off road, speeds under 25 mph for now. I found some spacers on Amazon, but not sure if the center bore will work...going to get a rough measurement this afternoon when I get home.

11. Techspec360

Techspec360 New Member

No I didn't. I decided to keep the stock steelies and go with some Toyo Open Country tires, mainly due to the heavy loads I'd be hauling. I'm glad I did since it's been on the bump stops numerous times and with 50 psi in actual "road" tires they are pretty maxed out. I highly doubt ATV tires and/or ATV rims would have been able to sustain these loads.

Cheers!

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Go take a wheel off and measure your hub. If you have a set of digital calipers you can be really accurate. If you don’t have a set you can buy them for around $20.

13. Steven McCullough

I measured, it's bigger than I thought. 3 1/8 " (approximately 79mm) with a tape measure...not as exact as calipers would be, but still making it hard to find off the shelf spacers. I am going to mount my new tires and see what clearance I have first and then see if I can find spacers if needed. I did find some ATV spacers 4x115 with 85mm bore. I think as long as I don't go more than 1.5" on the spacer, the front wheels will still center on the hub and I don't think the larger bore on the space will matter...but I am also considering selling my Minicab...

14. Limestone

It doesn't matter how thick, the wheel spacer, they center themselves upon installation! I haven't really seen a wheel spacer yet that the center hole wasn't large enough to accept clearance around the hub!
    Limestone

15. Steven McCullough

Most that I was seeing in the 4x114.3 (4x4.5 or 4x115) bolt pattern were 56-67 mm center bore. The only ones that I could fine that will clear the hub center on the minicab were the ATV ones. And I do understand that they "center" themselves, but if the bore is bigger than the hub, then they are no long hub centric, but the wheels will be as long as they don't stick out past the hub with spacers installed. On mine now with stock 12" steel wheels, I have 1.5" of hub protruding from the wheel center. So with a 1.5" spacer (if needed)...the wheel center will still rest on the hub. But I have read in many of the threads that people are running 8" tires on the stock wheels without rubbing, so we'll see. My tires just shipped and hope to have them in a day or two and mounted by next week.

16. Limestone

Gotchya! keep us posted!