1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

snow plow help. poly or steel?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jwetovick, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

I've read a few threads but am interested in hearing some more on this topic. I am wanting either a 66in or 72in cycle country blade but am having a hard time deciding which one to get????
    Another factor is how much difference 20lbs will make. This is how much lighter the poly is compared to steel and Im wondering about down pressure and I dont want to worry about adding anything to create more down pressure. I will be using it to clear my driveway which is white rock and then concrete sidewalks.
    Anyone have any experience that would like to share your thoughts? Thank you

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. Meesho

Meesho Member

I would suggest the Blackline plow. It's made in USA and metal. The basic one is self contained and offeres 500 lbs of downward pressure.... whereas the ATV plow you mention just floats over the snow and ice. They also require an additional winch to raise and lower it.

3. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't have the pocket book right now to afford a black line setup. For what I'll use it for 1000 is all I'm interested in spending. The winch will be nice as il be able to use it all year round for other uses.

4. Meesho

Meesho Member

5. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Hey thanks. So which mounting bracket would I need for a 95mitsu? So for that price it would include everything I would need to start plowing? Does it work in a 2in receiver?

6. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

FYI if you are plowing a dirt driveway you will want a plow that floats, otherwise it's going to make a mess of your driveway... a power down plow will also destroy grass if you push snow up onto your lawn. I use an Eagle plow... also made in the USA (in Minnesota in fact) a 72" plow blade is $300 and a push tube is $200... free shipping
    http://northstaratv.com/plowblade50inchstandard-2-1.aspx
    http://northstaratv.com/pushtubes-2.aspx

[​IMG]

You'll need a winch and to do some fabrication to get it mounted... but if you've got the skills to do it you'll save some cash and this plow doesn't screw around moving snow. Here's a super short vid of my setup:
    http://youtu.be/zmKV4-lVO58

A pic of it in action:
    [​IMG]

A driveway successfully cleared:
    [​IMG]

I have to recommend Eagle Plows every time someone asks about plows... their customer service was amazing and their product has exceeded my expectations in quality and performance.

7. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Thanks Ironraven. Appreciate the info. I'm pretty much torn now on what to get. My main thing is that I will use the plow to grade my white rock drive way in the summer time along with plowing snow. Tell me how well a float plow will get under ice patches that are a couple days old? This is my biggest concern that a float plow will want to just jump up on top and not stay down and rip the ice off the concrete. I'm also only interested in a plow that i can mount to my front 2in reciever hitch. Unless there is some important reason this is not a good route to go? I appreciate the input as I've never had one so I need to know all the info I can get. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  8. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

For concrete or asphalt you want a power down setup. A power down setup will also be a LOT better for smoothing gravel in the summer time.

What kind of front receiver do you have? If it's one of the bolt-on jobs you're going to want to weld it on for extra support or it's going to loosen up after a winter or so; plowing puts a ton of stress on the truck.

Any reason you want to mount it to the front receiver? Just curious... I started out going that route but changed my mind after seeing the wear and tear on the metal on the front of the truck after a year of hard use. I think something with multiple mounting points is a far better solution.

9. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

I found a Black Line from a dealer here for $935 for the 72in. Nice guy that has been using and selling them for years. I'm really leaning towards this one with the down pressure. As for the mount I am just looking for the ease I guess. I have a front bumper that is welded to the frame and then the receiver under that. I wont really be using it a ton so I think it should work well but maybe i will end up seeing the same thing you did? Either way this plow mounts on a 2in receiver hitch so hopefully it will work out good. I'm excited as heck to get this thing. Watched a video on youtube and it looks like a tank!! Next thing I'm pry going to run into is having to put on stiffer shocks? We'll see, hope not.

10. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I had heavier springs on but took them off because of the angle they were putting my CV joints at; I have a 2" spacer lift as well. The spring install is really easy, if you end up needing the extra support up front it's an hour or two max job.

If your receiver is welded on you should be fine. Post pics once you get it installed!

11. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

I also have a two in lift so hopefully the ol Mitsubishi will be able to handle the heavy plow. I'm putting my order thru soon and hopefully have it by next weekend. I will sure post some pics when I get it. I will however have to research how to post pics. I tried it once and couldn't figure it out. $1050 will be roughly the final cost after shipping and lovely taxes. Don't seem too bad for something I can use for snow and dirt. Loving the down pressure idea a lot!!!