1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shift on the go?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by tmikewww, Feb 16, 2008.

1. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

:confused:Can you shift into 4wheel drive while moving, or must you be stopped before engaging?

2. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Good Question. I'm not sure, but you cant go wrong with stopping before engaging 4wd. The 4wd button is on the shift know I believe, so it can probably be done both ways.
    There are some Subi owners on this site, i'm sure they will peep up!
    -mark

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

I shift on the fly, I was told by the guys where I bought it not to engage it while doing 80! I usually do it going 10 - 15 km/h...

4. Colin

Colin Member

I shift on the fly, too. In fact, mine usually won't engage unless it's rolling.

Sometimes I'll slip it into 4WD as I come up to an icy intersection, accelerate away, then switch back into 2WD. I wouldn't recommend doing it on glare ice, but I've shifted into and out of 4WD at speeds as high as 80 KM/H. :p

Colin

5. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Thank you everyone for the answers! I didn't want to be rolling along, shift, and then be not rolling along!!

6. C3imports

C3imports Member

you shouldn't need to shift into 4wd at 80 km/h. but best not to be on the throttle when you do at any speed.