Need some help to make an educated buying decision

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Joe Tack, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Joe Tack

Joe Tack New Member

First off I have tried the search function a few times and couldn't find anything so sorry if this is a repeat thread.

So I have decided instead of spending 20 on a side by side I want to buy a mini truck. I am locate in central MN and have no idea how to go about buying one. I have looked into a few dealers and they seem to no longer be in business in my area. From what I have read Suzuki or Daihatsu seem to be the best route to go but I am open to hearing from more knowledgeable people. I have also seen people say that they can be very hard starting in the winter. I am assuming a block heater can be added fairly easy?

I am going to be using this for yard work, hunting, and ice fishing. It will at some point (hopefully sooner than later) be put on a set of tracks. Speaking of which does anyone have height specs of a mini truck on tracks? I am hoping it will still fit in my enclosed with tracks on it as my UTV cleared by nearly a foot. I am open to either camoplast or mattracks if anyone has reasoning to go with one over the other.

From what I am reading I will most likely want a lift kit, but I see where there are issues with lift kits due to incorrect angles. Knowing that I will definitely want to lift it is one model better than the other? I have considered a dump model but am not sure that I really need it. I do know for sure that I want to have locking diff. I would like air conditioning but it isn't a make or break.

Also, I have seen some places selling them with automatic transmissions, but I am assuming this is pretty risky for something that isn't the easiest to get parts for. I have also seen where you can get almost new ones with only a couple thousand KM on them. Is it worth the money to buy a newer one versus an older one? I am fairly mechanical but I am concerned about working on something I have no clue about.

One other thing has anyone put a BOSS UTV plow on a mini truck? I have one off of an UTV I sold and would like to put it on the mini truck. I am assuming I will have to build a custom mount but I am hoping the plow isn't too small for a mini.

I literally just started researching a few days ago and should probably take more time to learn but I need to pull the trigger before the snow flies. I thank you all in advance for any help you may provide me. I wish there was somewhere local where I could go look at them.

2. theguide

theguide Member

Hello Joe,
    I was kind of in the same boat as you a few years back, the only difference was I did spend 20+ thousand on a Polaris ranger and regretted within weeks of bringing it home. I'm a registered Maine guide so I use my mini truck all the time from Moose hunting to fishing so can attest to their durability and usefulness in the field.

I stumbled across my Mitsubishi Minicab locally with a blown timing belt and all the valves bent so I got a pretty good deal on it, I think I paid $3800 for it and then put about $1200 into it. But I was actually in the process of seriously having one inported and was communicating with http://www.grimports.com/ which I would highly recommend. They ended up supplying me with my engine parts and a lot of advice. I can't speak for Suzuki or Daihatsu but in my opinion the Mitsubishi is as tough as woodpecker lips! I thought that the locking differential was a must have but after the places I've had mine its not big deal. I have located many parts resources over they years and can have engines, transmissions, axles you name it shipped right to the door from Asia so don't let that be a concern as it was mine also. I can share with you my resources after you make your purchase.

I would recommend buying 2000 or newer because they are all fuel injected and just about all have power steering. I would actually get an automatic if you could because in a vehicle with already cramped leg room not having to push the clutch would be great. As far as the dump body goes I have no experience but I have heard that they rattle a lot more when off roading but again I have no first hand knowledge of this.

Not sure about a plow but I can tell you that the front strut and spring assemblies are pretty light so you would have to beef them up some. I bought heavier coil springs from summit racing and cut them down to fit to compensate for my 150lb brush guard and winch mount.

Hope this helps, PM and I can give you my phone number if you want to chat about them sometime.

20160728_161058-1.jpg

3. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

very nice rig you have built