1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed Cruise Control

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Wolfman, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I just finished installing a cruise control on my Hijet. My neighbour had an older unit collecting dust on his shelf. The install was very straightforward, requiring little fabrication to make stuff work in a vehicle never designed for it. We only had to alter the fitting that fit over the snap coupling on the carb, as the ball was much larger than the part was designed for.

I also came across an unexpected issue with the tach input. Since these things rev so high at highway speeds, the cruise servo actually shut down, since it didn't like the revs. The solution to this was to tell it that it was a four cylinder engine, instead of a three. The only thing that remains on this project is to purchase a vacuum cannister. As expected, the engine has too little vacuum available at highway speeds, to be able to hold anything remotely resembling that of a hill.

The servo mounted perfectly on the frame rail directly under the driver's seat, next to the jack. All in all, it was an easier than expected install, that didn't require the normal level of chants and rituals (read swearing fits and tool relocations ;) ), to get the job done.

Now off to get the vacuum cannister.