1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few Questions about my Sambar Van

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar References' started by Smabarwala, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Smabarwala

Smabarwala New Member

Hello everybody!

I have a 2003 Sambar Van. I have done few maintenance tasks at my own and love to do so with the help of your kind help and suggestions.

I learned good tips in these forums and hope that it will be continued.

1. I am not sure that my van engine is supercharged or not. It has throttle body, different sensor installed on intake manifold and fuel injectors but the V-belt has three pulleys (Engine, Compressor and Alternator) whereas the V-belt of supercharged engine as shown in the service manual run over more pulleys. So what if it is not SC, is it equipped with carburetor? (BTW I don't have the manual, just read few pages of it on Google books)

2. Fuel consumption is too high (about 11 Kilo meters/Liter) so I tried to clean the fuel injectors. But these injectors are not as simple as others. They have holes in center and the procedure I learned from tutorial videos could not be applied. Please suggest any simple method of manual cleaning. And do you suggest to add injector cleaner (like STP) fluid in fuel instead of manual cleaning?

3. What is the location of ECU or computer in this Van?

Thank You Very Much for this help. :)

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

1. If it has a supercharger, the engine exhaust manifold (on top of the engine) may have "SUPER CHARGER" written on it. Is the compressor an A/C compressor or a supercharger? The supercharger will have a large rubber air hose leading into the engine (to supply extra air). Additionally, if you stomp on the gas pedal, a supercharger light may appear on the dash (the 1990's Sambars have this anyways).

2. 11L/km is about 9 L/100km, which isn't terrible depending on the kind of driving you're doing. High speeds or lots of city driving can give you poor mpg's. Are your tires the stock size? Using tires with a larger outer diameter will make your MPG look worse.

3. On the 90's trucks, the ECU was under/behind the drivers seat. The van might have them a bit further back, like under the second row seats.

3. Smabarwala

Smabarwala New Member

Thanks for this help.

It has a AC compressor, it means that Engine is EFI without supercharger.

:)