Engine RPM drop when lights ON

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Robert Gionet, May 9, 2024.

1. Robert Gionet

Robert Gionet New Member

Hi all,
    Just out of curiosity, are you guys also noticing the engine RPM dropping when you put the head lights ON ?
    I have the feeling that my idle is maybe Higher than normal when the lights are OFF, but I cannot adjust it to be lower because when I put the lights ON, Im afraid the engine might stall (because of the engine RPM dropping).. so I need to keep the Idling RPM a little Higher for this reason. Not a big deal.
    Are you guys experiencing the same ?

2. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

3. Robert Gionet

Robert Gionet New Member

4. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

Your local autopart store should have H4 LED lights in stock. I have the U42T and ended up just replacing all my bulbs (markers and all) with LED and now I can't even tell my lights are on.

5. Robert Gionet

Robert Gionet New Member

Hi Kei3DO
    Actually, I havent checked locally but I did verify on Ebay and Amazon and honnestly, I could not find anything that has this low power consumption of 31W (15.6W one side)
    Everything I have found on Amazon or Ebay was consuming 50W power minimum.
    So this is why I will probably purchase from Japan. I have a Ebayer from Japan from whoom I order my Mitsubishi parts, so this will be piece of cake.
    Thanks for your reply.

6. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Check your local laws. LED’s are crazy bright. I put them in my Acty. No more drop in rpm’s but seemed to me to be bright enough to be illegal.

7. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

I think mine are 26w or 34w, 31w is pretty low. Your halogens in the truck are probably eating 85w or more on low beam, possibly 100w on high depending on the brand. Cost me $56 USD from the local auto parts store. You may not find any much lower than 25w because LED's require a fan built in to keep them cool.

8. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

This is a good point. Places in Canada and some States in the US have police who get hard-ons for giving tickets to people for silly stuff like aftermarket LED's on older vehicles, despite every single newly manufactured car having lights brighter than the F'ing sun that burn black spots into my eyes at night

9. MikeD

MikeD Member

What RPMS are we talking here?

What are they at with headlights off :
    What do the rpms drop to with headlights on :

What is your battery voltage with headlight off:
    What is your battery voltage with headlights on:

Otherwise, just a guessing game here. Your vehicle doesn't require LEDs and you shouldn't have a RPM drop to the point of near stalling unless something is wrong.

10. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

The Zukis have a vacuum actuated thing a ma bob that puts the idle up when fan or lights are turned on. Even if all the electrical is fine, this is normal. For your truck I wonder if the gizmo to do similar just doesn't work so someone boosted the idle to deal with it.

11. MikeD

MikeD Member

Agreed, there is definitely an 'idle up' circuit on the newer fuel injected too and I suspect the older carb models have some sort of vaccumm thingy mabob as you described lol

when you turn your AC on (if you're lucky enough to have it and its working ) idle should go up and remain up. If it's dropping down and almost stalling with just headlights being on, something aint right. Check battery, grounds, voltages, etc. and you will narrow it down.

I've been trying to figure out a rough idle issue lately too so I will post if anything relevant is found but I am on a 4A30 motor w/ Fuel injection sorta different.

12. Robert Gionet

Robert Gionet New Member

Actually my truck idle is falling when my lights are on, but hard to tell how many rpm to be frank. As I said, my regular Idle RPM without lights is according to my feeling a little fast, but again, without tachometer, its hard to tell. I really dont drive that much during night time, so its not really an issue for now, nevertheless I will troubleshoot to find the issue. It could be that the drop in rpm is normal as well.
    Besides that, all is fine and running well.
    I do have an AC and yes when I put it ON during idle period, I do notice the RPM shooting up to cover for the AC.
    Thanks guys for your input on this.

13. MikeD

MikeD Member

Got it, didn't realize you don't have a tachometer . Your AC causing the rpms to raise is a good sign.

All just guesses here but maybe you have some corrosion in your headlight circuit somewhere or maybe even at the battery. Start simple and check those connections . A cheap volt meter may help get you going in the right direction as well by checking voltage at idle and then any potential voltage drop with lights on

I just went out to my truck and I can confirm a very slight drop / dip of engine rpms when turned on but nothing that would ever cause the engine to stall or any concern.

If you're not stalling and just have a little blip I'm the rpms , check battery connections , maybe swap bulbs , and ride it out