1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dies when accelerating.

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Michael Martin, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin New Member

1991 KV4 SC EVCT.

So I have had this bitchin' Sambar Van for a while now. Been super great. I Drove it almost 1000 miles home the day a bought it and has been surprisingly reliable since.

Recently, the van will randomly start lurching forward, slowing down to a stop then dying if the gas pedal is down.

It will idle fine even when this is happening. Turning the vehicle off and on has fixed the problem every time (at least temporary).

I saw someone else on this forumn described a almost identical problem but their fix did not work. (Distributor)

Please note I am not even close to a mechanic but I knew what I was getting into when I started buying imports.

So far I have changed sparkplugs, distributor rotor and cap and fuel filter.

I'm looking for a new fuel pump and fuel injectors. Im trying some of the Royal Purple fuel injector cleaner in the tank but the van has died in 2 really scary spots and I'm kinda scared to drive it to keep running that stuff through.

I think today I'm gonna try to pull the gas tank and see what that's looking like.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Attached Files:

2. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

Sounds like either weak spark, possibly coil or low fuel pressure. It's not going to be the injectors.

3. Michael Martin

Thank you for your reply. The more I think about it, the less I think it's fuel related, also.

I'm basically going from general consensus when I talk with people about the problem.

When I say I'm not a mechanic, I mean it. The most complicated job I've done is change CV axles.

My instinct was electrical so I think I'm gonna start looking for loose grounds and such starting with that coil.

4. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

You can easily take one of your old plugs, put one of the wires on it, hold it to ground and look at the spark. If it's a good spark you can eliminate that.

5. Michael Martin

I'm embarrassed to admit this but it was the the battery connection. I didn't even want to admit it but I'll obviously need help from the site later on

The piece that attaches to the battery was tight but not clamped well the wire itself. I've been poking around with this problem for over a month and it was that stupid.

The van is running great again. Thank you for the replies.

David Ogden likes this.
  6. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

That's awesome!