1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daihatsu Safety Scandal (1989-current)

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Wire Fox, Dec 20, 2023.

1. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

Sounds like this is still developing news, but it looks like a whistleblower recently revealed significant, systemic issues with safety tests being conducted fraudulently. Particularly, it looks like the main issue was vehicles being submitted for testing had different, usually better, parts installed in them than production models actually released to the public. This impacts vehicles being sold as Daihatsu and vehicles produced by Daihatsu under the Toyota badge. It's an interesting story to keep an eye on.

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...n-halt-over-safety-scandal-nikkei-2023-12-20/

2. OhDeer

OhDeer Active Member Supporting Member

I'm under no pretense these things are any safer than a motorcycle in a crash, so I don't think it's much concern for HiJet owners.

reggie98 and t_g_farrell like this.
  3. Wire Fox

Wire Fox Member

While I agree, the production halt on the current models might have an impact on parts availability in the long term, so it might be something still to keep an eye on. It's also quite unfortunate for anyone that purchased any of the newer models with an expectation that it had comparable safety certification to other small vehicles, but they unfortunately falsified their testing data.