1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant Flush

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Gormley Green, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Gormley Green

Gormley Green New Member

I'm going to be flusing and refilling the coolant system on my '91 Acty. I know that there are some (I believe 2) hoses that you ned to disconnect from the engine to get air through them, and all the coolant out. Anyone have any experience with this, their location and how it's done?

Cheers.

2. Gormley Green

Gormley Green New Member

Bump.

I still haven't figured out how to change my coolant...anyone?

Also - the spark plugs are so deep in the head! Wow! Cannot reach them with current tools.

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I've always found the easiest way is to remove the lower rad hose and let it drain,then remove rad cap ,start engine,turn heater on full hot,and add clean water and whatever rad flush you are using,replace cap and run till normal temp is obtained. Remove lower rad hose and drain again. Repeat 1 more time with only clean water to flush out the flushing chemicals. How deep are the plugs in the head ? socket extensions don't work?

4. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

On the Honda engine there is a coolant drain plug next to the oil filter and a drain on the radiator. When you refill to prevent air lock there are two vent plugs on top of the engine and one in each steel line that run up to the front. You need to crack them open to let the air out. With the age of your truck I wouldn't mess with the ones in the steel lines unless you have to. They get real rusty and seize up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the spark plugs I use a regular 5/8" spark plug socket that is welded to a 6" extension. They do make long sockets for these type engines if you search for "long sparkplug socket" on Ebay you'll find them

5. Gormley Green

Gormley Green New Member

Thank you very much! Very helpful information.

6. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

wow now that is a very good answer!