1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brief Guide on Transfer Case Cover Removal - 1995 S110P 4WD

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet References' started by Hemogoblin, Jul 13, 2023.

1. Hemogoblin

Hemogoblin New Member

I thought I'd share some guidance on removing the transfer case cover for a S110p Hijet. I struggled with this project for a few days all because of grime and dirt buildup.

Once all of bolts and some other bits are removed, the cover can be unseated from the transfer case, but only a certain amount. This is due to the shaft for the shift arm is slotted into and fastened, by a spring pin, to the cover.

Because there was so much crap built up in this area of the transfer case I assumed that the only way for this pin to come out was by pulling. Tried that for a a bit with no success, gave up and decided to do some research.

It wasn't clear to me at the time, due to layers of grime on the other side, that this was a through hole slot. Only figured it out when I sprayed rust release into the hole...the spray came out the other side!

I managed to find some clear, nearly identical, transfer case diagrams from a Toyota Pixis Truck S211U. The assembly appears nearly identical with only minor variations. The spring pin orientation in the diagrams is vertical where on our trucks it is horizontal. See below

Brief Step by Step
    note:
    - Ensure vehicle is stabilized and safe if working on the ground. Handbrake, chocks, etc.
    - A spring/roll pin punch will be needed. Size should be exactly the OD of the spring pin.

1. Drain transfer case.

2. Remove rear short drive shaft.

3. Disconnect speedometer cable and any other attached pieces.

4. Remove all bolts fastening cover to transfer case.

5. Fully clear all debris from both sides of where the spring pin slots in.

6. Use the punch and a hammer to knock the pin out. Push the pin going IN towards the center of the transfer case.

7. Fully take off transfer case cover. *There are lips on each side of the cover that can be used to knock the cover off. I used the wood side of a hammer as a dowel on the lip, driving it with another hammer, to knock the case off. Do not pry on use the mating surfaces for leverage.

8. The shift shaft should slide out nicely in ideal scenarios. Mine was rusted in place and would not move by pulling the cover out. Follow next step if corroded in place.

9. The end of the shift shaft is actually exposed on the outside of the case and can be pushed in with some percussive force. I used the handle side of a punch and knocked the shaft inwards, towards the front of the vehicle. Put something rubber in between the cover and the transfer case to brace against the impacts.

9. Done!

Reference images

Transfer case assembly.

Transfer case assembly, shift arm view. You can see the shaft extending into the transfer case

Through hole after spring pin is removed

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023