1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Filter

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Timetripper, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Attn Colin:
    I came across a thread that listed a Wix 46159 as being a part # that would fit on Sambar's air filter. I saw on a different thread you were mentioning about converting your air filter over to different type because it was a pain to import filter. I was wondering if you could confirm if this Wix # does work on Sambar's since you own one and it looks like you work in the auto parts business. The info I found on wix 46159 is it's for a 89-93 Chevy Corsica/ Beretta and it's 8.620" long x 6.250" wide x 1.530" high. It allows 210 CFM [think that's enough for our SC beasts?:D]

Other Cross reference #'s:

AC A1111C
    Fram CA6625
    GM 25097359
    Purolater A24636
    WIX 46159
    K&N 33-2037

2. BLES

BLES Member

That's the one I used in mine. Seems fine.
    BLES

3. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Thanks for confirming.:)

4. jliltd

jliltd Member

Thats what we thought, too. Until we smoked two Subaru motors. The substitutes are not exactly the same dimensions and will let dirt ruin your engines. The Subarus are particularly sensitive to this. I've replaced on motor already and have the another Subaru truck parked until I can get around to buying another motor for it. We noticed the slight differences when we first installed the substitutes and even sealed around their perimeter flange with packaging tape before installing the cover. This was an effort to mitigate any seal issues. Alas, the damage still happened.

There were some serious problems with this exact substitution about a year and half ago. Many of the cross-referenced filter parts circulating since 2006 are wrong and have caused much grief. I'm sticking to the higher-priced OEM filters because the alternative has been costly. I'm looking at retrofitting a whole different filter assembly when I get time. I know that Ulmer Farm Services already has a conversion for the Suzuki's allowing the use of an off-the-shelf tractor filter.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  5. toenail

toenail New Member

Wix filter

I purchased one of the Wix 46159 filters according to the numbers on this site and it didn't fit to my satisfaction. It appeared to be too thin and slightly smaller in width. I tested it by placing a piece of clay on the sealing surface and sure enough it left about 1/8 inch gap. I sure wouldn't recommend that filter unless you like to buy engines.

6. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

I bought an OEM air filter from Chad Hite, $15.00. His Address is on this site.

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Member

Another Filter Option

For those of you living in Canada... I took my air filter into Canadian Tire and showed it to the guy behind the counter, we opened four boxes until we found one that I think is a perfect match, it dropped right in and it looks like a good seal.

Part number 23-3129-4

Best part....$11

If I'm wrong I'll be letting you all know when I'm buying a new engine.....

Xlr8me likes this.
  8. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I cross referenced the Can Tire # and it comes up to the Fram # in my first post which other members have since said isn't the "perfect" match.
    Just so you know.

9. ricohman

ricohman New Member

Did this filter work?

10. BLES

BLES Member

I used that one until I got a proper one. There was some talk a while back that they didn't work. The problem looked like it would be because the wix is slightly thinner and might not adequately seal. When I installed mine, I used a thin weatherstrip on the backside, plus I put a bead of "DraftStop" removable caulking around it to seal it to the engine intake housing. When I got the new "original" part and installed it, there was no sign of leakage when I removed the old one.? Anyone in the states... I'd just get the proper one to start. In Canada, yeah, takes a while and costs about $40 to get the original.
    BLES

11. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Really? I have paid $28.00 from Japanoid for the "right" one.

12. BLES

BLES Member

Pays to shop around, eh?? I tried a few places with no luck. I got mine for a reasonable price from Chad Hite. Very good service. But, with all the shipping, etc. to get it to northern Saskatchewan from Kentucky (or wherever it was), it was about $40.
    BLES

13. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Ok. I thought you meant $40.00 was the cost for just the filter, I can understand the shipping, etc bringing it to $40.

14. ricohman

ricohman New Member

Since the Sambar I'm working on is a 550cc 1987 I am going to assume this filter may not work.

15. Colin

Colin Member

Correct. That one is different:

[​IMG]
    550cc Sambar

[​IMG]
    660cc Sambar

You might get lucky and find a replacement at a parts store. Bring in the height, inside diameter, and outside diameter. Ask them to look in their Wix catalog by filter dimension - there are a ton of round filters to choose from.

Colin

16. Bosco rosco

Bosco rosco New Member

Air Filter NAPA GOLD 6159 perfect fit w/ very slight alteration to gasket ... cut of square cornors to fit into rounded cornors. Easy cut with scissors, remember very slight adjustment needed. Best part only $11.99!

Bosco Roscoe