1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You are driving on the wrong side.

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Tovel, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Tovel

Tovel New Member

I been driving my mini for a few weeks now, and its starting to get old.

Several times a day someone says to me, 'You are driving on the wrong side'.

I inform them I am driving on the 'RIGHT' side.

Most don't get it though.

haha

2. Onion Seller

Onion Seller New Member

You are driving on the wrong side!

Same thing with me to! I usually kid them along,eg.I tell them: I got a really bad 'depth perception problem'and it makes it real easy to parallel park with the steering wheel on this side!:rolleyes:

Actually,at one time the whole world drove on the left side,including the USA! The idea behind this was that the right eye is more dominant for the majority of the population,and thus easier to see oncoming traffic.

Britain,India,Japan,New Zealand,Australia and I think Malasia drive on the left side. Denmark was one of the last countries to switch over after WWII.

Newfoundland also drove on the left side,until they joined Confederation in 1948.Before that Newfoundland was a British colony. In fact,my friends Dad served in the Canadian Navy during WWII,and was stationed in Newfoundland. He got 'Overseas Pay' in Newfoundland!

-1990 Suzuki Carry
    -1991 Isuzu Elf 2 Ton Dually

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i agree that it does get old. i can't pump gas without getting an interview. going down the freeway i actually had two different drivers on saturday wanting me to roll my window down at 75mph to ask me questions while driving. or i get the guys that want to look at it so bad going down the freeway that they sit in my blind spot, or won't let me get around slow moving traffic because they won't move from beside me.

people as me if i got it in england i just say no. they say that it certainly looks european... i tell them it's japanese. face it, most people are sheltered and kinda dumb... anything different is AMAZING. i've actually had several people tell me how much they like my volkswagen and how cool they always thought VW's are... i just say thanks and keep on walking.

4. Colin

Colin Member

Yeah, it gets REALLY old. People are dumb.

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Now THAT I did not know! Neat!

6. glenn

glenn Member

You are right that most drove on the left side......It actually had more to do with the fact that most people are right handed and since knights would defend themselves from the right side with their swords...they wanted people to pass them on the right side......
    Denmark was not the last country to switch...it was Sweden....
    Prior to the 1920's BC, PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick all drove on the left side....
    What year did Newfoundland join Canada?:sly:.........Try asking someone from Fort McMurray eh?:rolleyes:

btw....I usually answer the "you're driving on the wrong side" with "no, you're driving on the wrong side....I drive on the right side" lol.....I love to confuse the girls at the timmie's drive-thru...besides the passanger side pick up window is usually quick'r......lol :D

glenn

7. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i don't know which is worse going through the drive thru and having to yell at the speaker through the passenger window for them to hear me and then reaching across the truck to pay and get my food....

or...

going through in reverse so everything is more convenient for me, but confusing all the people that want to get in the drive through "behind" me, they look really confused, they see my front end and think they are approaching the exit, not to mention you are forced to look someone straight in the eye while you wait your turn, but it's long a long uncomfortable silence.

i know from experience :D

8. glenn

glenn Member

Hey Milt,

you sure seem un-conventional:sly:....lol

glenn:D

9. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

That's too funny:D
    Best laugh I had today.

10. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol "awkward silence" anyone?

11. Onion Seller

Onion Seller New Member

Correction!

WHALEOILBEEFOOKED!,it was 1949,not 1948!

12. glenn

glenn Member

'Lord Tundr'n.....What's black and blue and floats off the shore of St Johns:confused:...

.........mainlander, tell'n Newfie jokes eh?:rolleyes:

13. Colin

Colin Member

14. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol new usage for that reacher wand we should never have bought grandma...

15. Jake Rivers

Jake Rivers New Member

I live on the border and head over to minnesota a few times a week, getting annoying rolling down the passenger window and leaning over so they can see you when you talk to the customs agents

16. Onion Seller

Onion Seller New Member

WEAR SUNGLASSES/ The British Are Coming!

Next time,wear sunglasses! They won't shoot until they 'see the whites of your eyes' HaHaHaHa!

17. glenn

glenn Member

Well....if you get pulled over...you can tell the trooper that you have his safety in mind....he won't get hit by traffic while he talks to you eh?

18. Colin

Colin Member

In Minnesota, they almost always walk up to the right-side window, anyway. Imagine the officer's surprise - he walks up to what he thinks is the passenger's window and is greeted by a crazy driver, "Why hallo thar ossifer!" :D

Colin

19. Terrh

Terrh New Member

I've got a wider RHD - a 1992 skyline GTR.

I don't use drivethru's or if I'm really lazy (or it's cold out) I will but I'll go through backwards.

usually at the border I just get out, or they come over, or whatever. I've crossed the border about 20 times in it.

20. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Been there, Done that. The stop ended up turning into a conversation about the truck. :D

21. Onion Seller

Onion Seller New Member

Your driving on the wrong side

OR... I'm really p***ed,sowwe conberted tu righthan dwive in thabar pawkin lot biffur we left.(this is the passenger,OK)

22. glenn

glenn Member

yer make'n my eyes water buddy....:rolleyes: