Year of Manufacture/VIN Decode Question

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Panther Creek Plantation, Jun 30, 2024 at 6:34 AM.

1. I just bought a new 2024 Hijet Jumbo from a US based dealer. The truck just arrived off the boat this month and was delivered a couple of weeks ago. However, I noticed that the bed liner warranty paper work from the bed liner company says the truck is a 2023 (I found the bed liner company's warranty info in a sealed envelope in the glove box). So, then I looked on the seat belts for a date, and sure enough, the date there is says: "12 19 2023".

The company that sold me the truck was terrific, and they have good reputation, so I'm pretty sure it is a 2024, despite the seat belt year of 2023, as the seat belts could have been made before the truck.

Do Japanese manufacturers call a car made after Sep 2023 a 2024 model in the US?

I ran the chassis number through about 5 different decoders, and all of them came back "No Data".

Any feedback on how to decode the VIN would be appreciated. I just want to get my records straight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 6:42 AM
  2. HiJinks

HiJinks Member

It is my understanding that in Japan they don’t really utilize model years like we do. Instead they just have models. I.E. s80, s83, s110, and etc…
    Someone else may know better, but that is what I have read or heard more than once. So, I would assume your vehicle is as new as new gets?

3. Thank you. Yes, I am sure its new...still had the plastic floor wrap on where you get in. It is just very odd that I can't decode the VIN. The new "2024" model were $500 more than the new "2023" models, with the same mileage (less than 10 km).

I have read that in Japan, they use the first year of registration as the year, but I don't know if that is accurate.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 6:57 AM
  4. HiJinks

HiJinks Member

Where are you? If you are utilizing decoders based in a country that doesn’t have these vehicles, your VIN will not be in their system perhaps?