1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't Idle, No Power

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Pyrrhonota, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Pyrrhonota

Pyrrhonota New Member

Hi All,

I have a MiniCab that I need to use for work, but it will not idle and has almost no power. It has sat since last fall and will start fine, but it will not idle for more than a few seconds without tapping on the gas petal. Even when revving high it will slow and stall if the throttle is not continually moved. It is parked on snow, so I can see that it is spitting a bit of black oily stuff out the tail pipe.

It had a bad battery, which has been replaced. The air filter was also amazingly dirty, changing it made a slight difference but not enough to solve the problem. I think the ignition system is fine, as it seems to start fine. Is there a choke on these engines, and could it be stuck on?

Any ideas on where to start looking to solve the problem? What repair manual would you recommend?

I am not sure of the year (know how to find out?) but it has a 3G83 engine, it is a stick shift 4X4, and has power steering.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Carb. rebuild ? valves ? 3g83 engine you are looking at a early to mid 90's. Check the seat belt tag for year.. There should be a metal plate under the drivers seat seat that will have all the model info. you need. 3g83 indicates a Mitsubishi.
    Most of the time if any of these 1990's truck run bad its a carb. problem/fuel delivery. Very few times I have something other. Doesnt matter if its a Daihatsu/Suzuki/Mazda/Mitsubishi. Cant speak for Honda or Subaru, havnt messed with them.

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

try running with the air cleaner off (just make sure theres nothing in the area that can be sucked in ) if it runs better you have a blockage somewhere in the intake...you may also have a blocked exhaust...try the things trax mentioned first as the carb. and vacuum lines are usually the problems

4. Pyrrhonota

Pyrrhonota New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I will start with the simplest (run w/ out air cleaner) and move on from there.

Do you know if this thing has a automatic choke? Seems like it could be running with a choke stuck closed.

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Yes, it does have a automatic choke. Check the lines that carry radiator fluid to the carb. as soon as you start a cold engine. Its like a pre heat for a cold engine. If those lines are plugged up with goooo they wont flow the pre heated fluid through the carb. and pre heat it. Ive found many of them 50% to 100% stopped up. Thats another thing that will upset the choke from working right.
    It gets frustrating trying to pin point the problem sometimes. But keep at it. Most of the time its something simple.
    Sitting for that long of period the fuel start to separate and leaves a film on all the little offices in the carb. Might try a good dose of Sea Foam and get it into the carb., let it sit for awhile. Then see if that helps. If it does try some more. It wont hurt anything. Sometimes it takes several doses.