1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wonky wheels

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by fupabox, Oct 21, 2009.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Installing my new rims/tires today 1992 daihatsu s83p. using 175/70/13s on 1970s datsun racing rims that have the same 4x110 bolt pattern and oddly the same hub bore as well(new installed tire diameter 22.6..stock 21.2)..I lucked out finding them...any way,I bolted the 2 fronts on and turned the wheel full lock to lock to check clearance on the fenders. (front lifted 1 1/2 -1 3/4with springs)the front of the tire was a tad close so I cut down the fender lips, that is when I noticed that the drivers side wheel/tire sits 9/16in further rearward than the passenger side ????? found the most level spot in the garage and squared the wheels with a laser level. Measured centre hub to centre hub on each side front to rear...pass side is 1/2- 9/16 further forward....long winded,sorry but I want to give as much info as possible. but my question is..is the locater arm adjustable? it seems to be as it is bolted thru 2 rubber bushings, not the lower control arm but the locater arm that goes on a 45 degree angle from the lower arm to the front frame rails .I have no issues with alignment or wandering atm tho...any input greatly appreciated.......cookies and beer also acceptable ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. fupabox

just another thought...does the top strut mount have any influence on the angle of the front suspension..

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Yes the radius rods control the front/rear position of the front wheels. Mine were not adjustable. The upper strut mount position controls the camber. This mount is not adjustable either unless you have an aftermarket lift with an adjustable camber plate.

-Greg

4. fupabox

thanks greg..wanted to make sure,before I start monkeying around with it,I guess lifting the front end puts more pressure on the rubber bushings and pulls them forward..they can only compress to a certain point

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I had to lengthen mine about an 1" (I cant remember exactly) to recenter my tires in the wheel well.

6. fupabox

just wanted to say thanks again greg....:D