1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiring harness fire

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by stumper, Feb 27, 2011.

1. stumper

stumper Member

Looking at buying this 96 mitsubishi. It had a wireing harness fire around the engine area. "supposedly" ran great before this happened. He is including another harness with it. Whats it worth? If I can get into it for 1500 bucks am I doing ok?

[​IMG]

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I'd have a go at it at that price

3. stumper

stumper Member

How challenging will it be to swap out the harness?

4. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

depends if its just the harness.

5. stumper

stumper Member

I didnt see any other damage other than melted wires on top of the motor, but its hard to say where other damage may be i guess.

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

bottom line is whats the price? I'd say easily 2g's. Wiring is a PITA but your talking about saving a few grand.

7. stumper

stumper Member

Getting it for 1500 cash if nobody beats me to it. Includes different harness

8. stumper

stumper Member

9. fupabox

Even if the motor ends up fried the rest of the body/parts will get your $ back...you can also count on a few vacuum lines being toasted as well..try to keep track of them before removing if possible

10. greg0187

Excellent deal! hope you get it.. got my fingers crossed for you!

11. stumper

stumper Member

Thanks, think it would be best to lift the cab off to do the harness swap?Didnt look like motor was very accessable,lol

12. fupabox

...lift the bed off,and remove the seats...much easier;) ..unibody

13. Stuff99

Look up Dan Hull on facebook. he is in the minitrucktalk group.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Japanese-Mini-Trucks-wwwMiniTruckTalkcom/342768687336

he has several daihatsu trucks and one he bought had an engine fire and he stripped the cab down and cleaned it and rebuilt it.

[​IMG]

latest exterior picture
    [​IMG]

they had some flooding down there and between that and a new horse arena the truck got put on that back burner lol

14. stumper

stumper Member

Thanks for the link!!!

Wow, that thing got a bit warm huh? The one Im trying to get dont even have seat damage, so Im hoping its not much of a job....I do remember noticing the belts were missing off the pullys,one was hanging there though...LOL

15. werase643

werase643 Member

hard to believe the owner doesn't fix it and get 2-3 times more....but hey.... his loss your gain.... I got an air box for a mitz it came with my suzi

16. stumper

stumper Member

Should be in my possession tomorrow night if he keeps his word.

17. fupabox

fingers crossed for ya...keep us posted on the harness swap...I don't recall one being written up on the forum so it would be an asset to have your input while it's being done

18. stumper

stumper Member

Got !!!! Post a few pics later

19. stumper

stumper Member

Hopfully I dont drive you guys nuts with questions!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. greg0187

Sweet! Congrats! Post some pics of the damage when you get a chance.

21. stumper

stumper Member

Unfortunatly the rebuild has came to a screeching halt. Monday morning my GF rolled her car. We got her out of the ICU yesterday,but she is still in the nuerology wing.Its been a hell of a week......from brain bleeds to broken legs..Her brain appears to be healing well,time will tell I guess. With the 2 broken legs she is going to need my attention more than the truck. Hoping to get on here when I can and do some research..gonna need a few parts like hoses and belts so if anyone has a sourse for those let me know....

Dont take anything for granted in life!!!

22. greg0187

oh man thats horrible! prayers are with you and your GF. for the belts you can just tie some string around the pulleys and take it down to the parts store and have them match it up. Hoses you would have to search for and match up. Most parts stores carry 1" heater hose probably equivalent to the radiator hose on that thing. Sounds like the fire was pretty bad. Might want to have a look at the timing belt before you crank it over.

23. stumper

stumper Member

Thanks...yah,it was a little worse than I thought,but not a deal killer by any means.is the timing belt visible on these?corner of the radiator is melted as well.....fan looks fine though...

24. greg0187

timing belt is probably under a cover. Kinda makes you wonder what he did to cause the harness to burn up.

25. stumper

stumper Member

Im almost wodering if it wasnt a gas fire that roasted the wires. Wire damage seems to be contained around the engine area.

26. stumper

stumper Member

Forgot I took this pic monday morning before the accident...
    [​IMG]

27. stumper

stumper Member

LOL, looks like I was wrong about the fan :frustration:

28. Stuff99

hope the gf recovers okay!

29. fupabox

thoughts and prayers to your Gf..hope everything is ok....you may be better off finding a blown engine and grabbing all the ancillaries

30. greg0187

well.. .thats a little worse than i expected but you did well on the price. You have a bunch of work ahead of you. get a good soldering iron and some small shrink wrap.