1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter starting

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by project_x, Nov 23, 2009.

1. project_x

project_x Member

When the temperature is above 35*F/2*C, my mini truck has no trouble starting, often immediately. If the temperature is below this, it needs to crank and crank. Initially I thought it was the original Japanese battery, so I replace it with a new odyssey. It will now crank until it starts, but this is often a minute.

I have read through the threads, and one of the suggestions is the valve settings, which I am going to measure. An

Anything else that I should look at?

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

not sure about the carry but the Daihatsu has an oddly prehistoric summer/winter air intake on the air filter..the vacuum flap needs to be disconnected in summer to breathe fresh air...reconnect in winter for engine warmed air

3. project_x

project_x Member

Clues??

When I get it started, I have my foot on the clutch, when I let the clutch out (shifter is in N) the engine rpms decrease.

It also doesn't go up to high idle right away, it takes some time (30s) to get it from 1100 rpm starting up to the high idle (cold) 2200 or so. I'm wondering if the thermowax auto choke was malfunctioning, is it a spring that holds the choke on when cold?

When I put my foot down on the gas to get it revving higher, if feels like it is bogging down, but after a few seconds of that (warmer) it is fine. Maybe the choke is sticking, or ???

The magnetic pan heater is the key, when I warm the oil pan up, it starts like dream.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. Lysander232

Lysander232 New Member

Small trick: when engaging the clutch during cold starts, give it a little gas to give it some extra rpm. This helps turning the cold transmission fluid. My dad drove semi truck for 15 years in the oil patch. He told me this trick and it works great. I live in Canada and Ive started my 91 suzuki carry in -20*C weather this way.

5. kepow

kepow Member

crank and crand crank and crank and you are blaming the battery?