1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter flap / air filter

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by rst277, Jan 26, 2013.

1. rst277

rst277 Member

So the truck has been feeling sluggish (thought it was the snow and the plow and .....) but to its credit always started even at -30c, but today I was out on the open road and couldn't get over 60kmph. Engine revs great but in gear under load would "bog" down. I checked the air filter which I kind of ignored for a while and holy smoke when I opened the cover, a liter of water and ice and mud poured out down my arm. Now I know what the culprit is!!! Now I have the flap set for winter but how do I check if it is working?? Should the flap be up when the truck is cold and then lower as the truck warms up and doesn't require preheated air? Thanks, Ralph in Winnipeg

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

pull off the rubber tube that goes to the frame from the filter cannister on the drivers side of the truck..at the top you will see the flap motor and you can see what position it is in..in winter mode it stays closed for preheated air all the time....in summer you unhook the vacuum line to it and plug the open vacuum line with a golf tee...that's actually the factory specified procedure....quite primitive but works fine as long as you remember to do it