1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winnipeg inspection crackdown

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by blakkmoon, Aug 14, 2010.

1. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

So how do we view this?

At first they chose Sunday cruise night as a target because that is of course when people with special interest vehicles come out to show off their rides in Winnipeg.

The premise at first was to crackdown on street racers. ( I agree with that )
    This has led to an expansion in scope to include safety issues. ( I agree with that as well )

Many owners of any sort of specialty vehicle now completely avoid the traditional Sunday night cruise.

And now this is even affecting the places that have car shows.

http://autos.winnipegfreepress.com/index.php?action=news&step=blog&id=2817

Which in many cases affects the business's involved and the in many cases the money that is raised for charities, to which many of these shows contribute thousands and thousands of dollars.

So as to not appear to be targeting any certain segment of the population
    ..... which in the old days they called discrimination .....
    They are now pulling anyone and everyone completely randomly, as well as the ones they are targeting.
    Under the guise of "safety"

And yes they are definitely catching safety issues. No question.

But at the same time, they are going above and beyond.
    And nailing people for EVERY little thing they can at $200 per infraction.

Tickets ranging from cloudy headlights, to window stickers.

So now how do view the next thing.....

Either the program has been SO successful, in generated SO much revenue for the city, that it should be expanded......

or

The program has now been so successful in keeping Sunday cruisers and racers away that there is not ENOUGH of the projected revenue being generated that we need to expand the program to meet projections

OR

So as not to appear that we are "targeting" a certain portion of the population, we need to expand our program to include other days of the week

In either case it has already been witnessed this already.....
    Cops were out on Tue night around supper time pulling over everyone from hondas to hummers

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipeg/2010/08/12/15010906.html

Picture it

Single mom
    Minivan
    2 of her kids
    2 of the neighbors kids
    on the way to soccer practice
    and swimming lessons

already running late
    just pulled out of the drive trhu

Then flagged down and put through an hour long road side inspection

Just bought the minivan 2nd hand a few months ago
    All she could afford
    But it was safetied

Infractions

Cloudy headlights $200
    We support our troops decal on the lower corner back window $200
    1 decal on the other side from the dealer she bought it from $200
    2 tires have too much wear $200
    1 leaky rear brake cylinder $200
    After market driving lights - no DOT inscription $200

No warnings just $1200 in fines

or maybe they should just tow it away cause its unsafe

and leave the lot of them to find their own way home
    Cause they have already missed soccer and swimming

But you better call for a cab

you don't want your neighbor to have to come and get you

her minivan will be pulled in too
    And SOMEBODY has to be able to go to the grocery store in the morning....

2. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

I can see most of the tickets are legit but dont think its ilegal to have stickers on your rear window. You can paint your rear window and rear passenger windows to so you cant see out of them. So how do stickers make it ilegal. I know its not legal to have them on your windshield.

well it sux altogether but welcome to how we've been treated here in Toronto for over 5 years

3. starpuss

starpuss Member

when i had my old p71 i had a sticker on the back windown "pig mobile" never got a ticket for it. but cops did not like it lol...

4. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

Yes and if you are driving at 51 kph, in a 50 kph zone
    You are speeding

the letter of the law and the intent are considered 2 different things

The example was based things that have happened

People here have been ticketed for having an empty windshield washer reservoir

The point is ( and I am sure you know this ) the extremes that are being gone to

It would be one thing to get a warning and be given a chance to rectify the problem

But a $200 ticket for not having washer fluid???

5. starpuss

starpuss Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  6. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

oh god. im not crossing that provincial line for awhile to come now!

7. zardoz

zardoz Member

I used to own a 63 corvair half ton, of course it did NOT have seat belts, heck it didn't even have washer jets or any kind of windshield wash system cept wipers. Every time I got yanked by the fuzz they wanted to give me a ticket for no belt. Every single time I had to show them that there was no provision for mounting seat belts... I kinda miss that truck... all cept for the fact it was a death trap lol. My buddy has a "Frontenac" (only seen one in my life) and it has no belts either.

My old blazer had a piece of luan mahogany for a back window (painted black so as to not look like wood lol ). Here in Nova Scotia if your tint is too dark you get ticketed... hehe.. going to "limo black" tint my back window and see if I can get away with it ;)

I know about overzealous cops but having that pink veterans affairs card in my wallet sure helps alleviate a lot of tickets when dealing with the RCMP ( hehe RCMP are federal service guys and seem to have a soft spot for us vets ;) ).

z

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

It seems to depend on the government in charge of each Province..the loony left environmentalists are declaring all out war on automobiles...cops want nothing to do with these ridiculous crackdowns,but as government employees they don't have much say in the matter.....You should start carrying a pice of sandpaper in your pocket at all times and sand the D.O.T. stampings off every tailight lens of every municipal vehicle you see,then report them;)

9. zardoz

zardoz Member

LOL fupa.. thats too funny! Back when I was collecting 3.25 tons of lead (was building a 36ft sailboat and needed keel ballast)... I was scrounging EVERY tire shop for their used wheel weights... the brightest of the bunch handed me a brand new set of wheel weight pliers and told me to "go collect them off of every car you find parked... I can use the business" ;)

z

10. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

3.25 tons:eek: So how many parking lots did it take :p

11. zardoz

zardoz Member

lol... no nerves to go scooping parking lots. I had PILES of wheel weights and assorted lead scrap, smelted it all down on my coleman stove. It took forever! When I was done I turned my stove in to CQ stores for a new one, when the movers came to relocate all my stuff for my next posting they wanted to refuse to move my lead... I told them "I make cast lead figures... thats a hobby.. you have to move hobby related materials as per your DND contract" ;) Those movers HATED me an my hobby :pop:

z

12. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

overzealous cops - mmmm??

It is the MPIC enforcement guys that are doing the inspections
    ( I don't know that they are deputized, or can pull you over, or can write the ticket )

The cops are there to ensure that they can pull you over and enforce the law and write the ticket

After talking with a couple of the local hot rod shops here.....

The rules are different for them.

Things like DOT lights, safety glass, tires etc. ...... even lack of seatbelts

Do not apply to CLASSIC cars
    Reason -
    At the time of manufacturing, the vehicles did not come with such things, and can be exempt.

Although, people may have received tickets in the past, they apparently have been fought in courts and won.

There are separate rules for each class...
    Classic
    Imported
    New
    Modified

Rules for one may or may not cross over to another

It seems that they can jump back and forth between provincial and federal laws at will.
    For example.....

In the federal law, ( I have heard ) European code headlights seem to be acceptable.
    And in some provinces it is - in other provinces it is NOT.

What can you do ??

I am doing alot of reading, trying to decipher the laws, trying to make sure everything is compliant, praying I don't get caught by the inspectors.....

And still, they can just send out a letter telling me its time for the MANDITORY RE-INSPECTION

Hell - I am currently re-doing my headlights again
    Although they are now DOT

According to the rules they must also be re-aimed
    ( I knew this but I wanted to try to get certain lights in there - which is not happening)

I am also going to change my DRL
    Because they really need to be of a certain brightness
    So I don't think my LED's are going to cut it

13. Stuff99

yup nothing says that your driving lights have to illuminate the road. just light up

14. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

15. mael

mael Member

That's just tyranny. Talk about the tail wagging the dog!

I thought I wouldn't be upset if some militia routinely raided these 'inspection' blitzes and lays waste the machines used for this bs.

Japan is a land of contradictions - and the po-lice can be pigs. But there was a pending law late last year which was to enforce the wearing of seatbelts by people in the backs of cars, and so the police did a load of checkpoints and stopped motorists who had people in the back without s/belts and just warned them. - Not a fine ... just a verbal warning whilst they scribbled something down whilst looking at your d/license.

The law was not popular and the public was against it - and y'know what??? They abandoned the law and (at least here) they don't bother people for not being belted-up in the back.

Maybe Japan will try to get the cops to be more like yours in the future but for now they are pretty lenient for minor problems. Mostly they'll just advise you if your tail lights are out, or to get new tyres. They can get a bit stroppy if someone has bought some after-market license plate holder which is meant to make the job of reading it more difficult - but they are mostly kids who do that and they need shouting at from time to time.

No stickers on screens? That's where our road-cert goes. There's another one on mine with AIR BAG SYSTEM' written on it. My tyres are new, the brakes have been done - but I suspect one disk is slightly warped - But OMG! Did I remember to top up the windscreen washer bottle? Do I even know where it is?

Piss on the Cops taking part in this crap! I don't like to imagine what driving the kids to and from the kindergarten would be like if they had to be belted. And the nightmare of having small kids in the car whilst some cops are going over the car is a particularly bad one.

16. Stuff99

I know in saskatchewan you as a driver are responsible for everyone under the age of 16 in you vehicle for wearing a seat belt. you get pulled over with 4 kids not belted in, thats 4 tickets you as the driver receive.

I'd take my regal to mb for the drag races but i need a new windshield before i contemplate that!

17. confuzed

confuzed Member

Years ago I was involved in a car accident driving a 65 Plymouth the investigating cop tried to give me a ticket for no seat belt, he found two dents on the bottom of the dash where my knees hit. I got in the car did up the seat belt grabbed the steering wheel and pulled my self forward, I said the law says I must wear the seat belt but does not say it must function properly. Got off the ticket. We now have Sherrifs in Alberta to assist the RCMP in traffic ( ones that could not make the RCMP I think) got stopped on # 2 or Qe II now in my subaru was going too slow according to Sheriff (checked there is no minimum speed for this hyway) told me if I must be on the hyway I need to travel with flashers going.I spoke with an RCMP officer and he said unless I had a slow moving triangle,flags and was not exeeding 15 MPH this would be a ticketable offence. Cmon it is one law book how do you get different interpertations? The best one yet though was the dumb cop in Vancouver my car was registered in BC my license was Alberta explained that i traveled between the provinces and was living in both ....... get this one.... told me i should have two licences and use the appropriate one for the province iI was in,when i told him it was illlegal to have two he said not if you live in both ha ha ha dumba##. first question when writting the test is- do you hold a valid or suspeneded license from any other Province. Ok now for a funny one: Kid from work got stopped at a check stop cop went to check his license he spouts to his friend I smell bacon cop heard it $200.00 fine making a derogatory statement to a peace officer.

18. mael

mael Member

I don't want to believe it.

Vermin needs to be eradicated. I entertain myself with - perhaps using a make-do drone out of a cheap r/c plane which is loaded with ... something..... .

.......... and crashing it into the car(s) with the bacon inside.

Unless some local cop has it in for you here, Japan is still nicely old-fashioned insomuch as it does seem to concentrate on the matter of road laws being there to promote and maintain safety as against them being ways to get revenue. - At least that's mostly my personal experience.