1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winch with "rope" or wire?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Acerguy, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking at building a bumper for my truck and am thinking of permanently mounting a winch to it (leaving a 2" receiver for other things). The winch will primarily be used for lifting a plow and dragging brush and logs out of the woods. I only use my truck around our property so I'm not looking at pulling myself out of mudholes. My question is if the extra cost of going with the synthetic rope for the line is worth it? I can only imagine that it would be easier for jobs that require repeated dragging it in and out of the woods. Comments? I was looking at the Superwinch Terra 45.

2. sdjenk

sdjenk New Member

which one rope or cable?

I have the rope on my arctic cat and I like it better than the cable. If it would ever break by pulling a heavy load or get caught on something when you are moving it won't try to take your head off like the cable can do. It may cost a little more but it's easier to work with than the cable.

3. Acerguy

Thanks for the input! I forgot to add the other factor that I thought of was that since the winch will be permanently mounted and my truck lives outdoors, does one hold up better to the elements (sun, rain, snow) that the other? I'm sure I could use a cover for most of the time but I still worry about the weathering effects on either one.

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Should hold up fine outdoors. The synthetic is nice and light and you don't have to worry about meat hooks forming on the line like you do metal. I wouldn't rely on the winch for dragging/towing stuff though. It will last longer if you only use it for winching. ;) I have the 4000lb warn and its been great. IMO If your on a budget I'd spend the extra money on a larger winch than the synthetic rope.

5. Acerguy

Thanks for the input, guys. I need to start working on that front bumper now! :D

6. minydigger

minydigger Member

the synthetic will start to deteriorate in the sun so its best to keep it covered up as much as possible.

7. dwlb

dwlb Member

When plowing many people on atv forums have found that a short section of flat nylon strap ( seatbelt ) works well, does not break like steel cable. You only use a short section of cable 6-10" and it wears quickly at fairlead and breaks. They run flat strap for plowing in winter & switch back to rope or cable for the rest of time. Doug

8. Acerguy

Awesome tip that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!