1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winch in the Weather

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by jtpc, Nov 28, 2008.

1. jtpc

jtpc Member

Hey guys,

I have a removable 2500lbs winch for front/back.
    I can store it in my bed tool box till the need would arise, but am curious if a normal atv winch like this (hulk brand) can withstand being in the elements of rain/snow full-time (if I wanted to keep it mounted on the truck just for looks in the meantime)

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Josh, I don't see why not. Although I'm sure that over time it will come with some premature wear. Just make sure you've got a lock on it so no one walks away with it.

-Greg

3. jtpc

jtpc Member

:) very true. A good hitch lock was the first thing I bought.
    I may not keep it on all the time just to avoid it fading and looking old, but I'll see.
    Just didn't want to leave it on and find out from others that they wear out that way, but I bet you're right and it could take it.

4. zardoz

zardoz Member

My suggestion is to use wax, the same stuff that keeps your vehicle paint from fading ;)

z

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

my winch looks like crap from being in the weather but has yet to leave me stranded. i don't run cable i use the synthetic winch line.. just as strong but a whole lot lighter. that seems to be weathering a bit, but i can't tell if it's from the the elements or the rocks :D

there really shouldn't be a problem with it since most winches are built to be mounted stationary on the vehicle at all times and withstand the elements.

make sure you put the locking pin it like greg said.. people are asses and steal things... last friday someone stole the hitch off my dodge when i was parked in front of my house.