1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the real gas mileage numbers please step forward

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Shrimp Daddy, May 29, 2009.

1. o8k

o8k Member

I have averaged about 25-28mpg pretty consistently.

The "best" fuel economy i believe this truck has to offer is in the off-road category. For example, it only gets about 25-28mpg round town, but on the trail, it still gets about 23-25mpg. Compare 23-25 mpg with a Jeep or a 4x4 truck while running a long back road trail to nowhere! That little engine just cant burn up fuel very fast idling around on the trail... The truck has only two run modes, WOT and idle. both get about the same fuel econ. both average 25mpg ish. :D

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Best tank has been around 48mpg...average is mid 30s to low 40s mpg using the US gallon as a measure.....worst has been around 28-29 mpg with a lot of in town stop and go driving/idling with full loads and a passenger for the most part...

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  3. N7MOG

N7MOG Member

Mits fuel mileage

I checked my mileage/odometer to my GPS. My Mits is getting about 30MPG with 155/80R13 all season tires on Datsun B-210 rims. My conversion of 90KM yields 60Miles from the ODO. Most of my traveling for this is an ascent/descent of 800 feet each day as I go to from work over about 20 miles one way at speed around 55-60MPH. Hope this helps someone.

4. starpuss

starpuss Member

my Best has been around 53mpg ...average is 25-30 mpg city

5. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

Hi
    to convert km's to miles you...km's X .625 = miles 90 X .625 = 56.25 miles :) i convert to miles all the time but there was someone who said that km's per L make more sense here in Canada but you guys in the US only have US gallons, so its better for you to just go to mpg using the above:pop: in Canada we can go farther on a gallon on gas because our gallons are bigger ( 4.54L ) and the US gallon is just short on 4L, so our mpg will be higher:)

hope this helps
    wyatt

6. fupabox

I'm closing in on you Starpuss...21km per litre today...that's 49 mpg (us gallon) 58 mpg (imperial gallon)..............192 kilometer trip..used 9 litres...mostly flat roads 90kph average speed...:):):):):)...hmmm wonder what all those

7. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

In Canada we officially measure "fuel consumption" rather than mileage.
    x.xL/100 kms
    and the 'gallon' (4.54L) is not a legal measure anymore.

Here's an online converter
    http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

30 mpg = 7.84 L/100 km
    40 mpg = 5.88 L/100 km
    50 mpg = 4.7 L/100 km

The mpg is US gallons, as Canadians can't buy gallons anymore. In prehistoric days when they could, 50 mpg US worked out to a little over 60 mpg Imperial.
    I'm guilty of it too, converting to the old mpg even though we've been buying it by the litre for almost 35 years.

8. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

LOL...i know imperial is not used in Canada, (still used for building materials) i was in school when it all changed :D it sure isn't illegal ;)

9. turtlesdove3

turtlesdove3 New Member

Accurate! Didn't know about the difference on the gallons.

10. fupabox

16.7 kilometers per litre last fill up..do the math as you please :)

11. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

L per 100km is really dumb, there is no tangability to it.

I just recorded 28m per US gallon on my last fillup.

Jon.

12. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

well i did a trip the other day to minot, nd with the liteace. had HORRIBLE headwind down and awesome tailwind back :D

8.891 us gallons for 315km (196 miles) = 22 miles per US gallon

13. anthill

anthill Member

Since we're all internet nerds, might as well start a Fuelly account... there's no minitruckers there yet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  14. N7MOG

N7MOG Member

Mileage calc on my Mits

Oldsnowman: Realize that my conversion calculations are not Km to Miles in a straightforward sense. I have different size tires than stock so I used my GPS vs. the odometer to develop MY truck's unique conversion. Thanks for your attempt to help.
    Bill

15. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Over the last 5 fill-ups in my 1990 Sambar SC I've worked out the following:

Avg: 7.6 L/100km
    Max: 8.0 L/100km
    Min: 7.2 L/100km

For the record, I'm only using L/100km because the two types of gallons muck up the numbers. km/L would make me much happier.

If using imperial gallons, 7.2 L/100km is basically 40 mpgi (33 mpgUS). You will likely get your best numbers at 15-25 km/h speeds, with rock hard tires.

16. Jessf

Jessf Member

I weigh myself in pounds, so I'm going to answer in mpg.

42 highway and city combined. That's with a new engine and rebuilt carb though. Fuel economy comes at a price, which kind of defeats the point.

17. bigpappastevens

bigpappastevens New Member

i have a 94 sambar 4x4 on gas I will go 370 km on 24litres on propane it goes420km on 35 litres cost me $5 to go 100 km

18. bigpappastevens

bigpappastevens New Member

i have a94 sambar 4x4 one lpg it goes 420 km on 35 litres at 59 cents a litres it equals 75 MPG in the city because gasoline is 128 litres ...u do the math...costs only $5 to go 100km in the city ..take that ta the bank billy bob

19. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Well.... to come full circle on this thread, I have run the oem donuts for the last 4 months and averaged about 28 US mpg running between 30-70kph in town and on the back roads. My best was a tick over 30mpg.

With the all-trail 24x8 tires I averaged about 23.5 mpg. You gain ride cushion with the all trails but also greatly increase road noise. I guess that's good reason to put together a "midlifecrisis" stereo system in it.

Three years later I still get the jaw dropping reply...."I thought they got around 40-50mpg".

20. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Well, it's not really a lie... just misleading. They truly do get 40-50 "mpg" under a certain set of conditions. Consider your source: Japan (aka. Metric/Imperial gallons) with lower average road speeds than the US or Canada (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country).

For example: I have achieved 6.6L/100km in my truck (not often, but I would be driving much faster in Canada than I would in Japan). That works out to 35.6 MPG(US)...but wait, that works out to 42.8 MPG(UK)! I'm sure if I kept my average speed around 40-50km/h (and no bursts up to 120) that I'd get pretty good numbers consistently.

Also, when you change tire size, do you convert your odometer reading by the % circumference difference between the two tires (assuming the stock tires are bang on) to get the fuel economy numbers? Putting a larger tire on your truck will trick it into thinking that it has traveled a shorter distance than it really has and thus making your economy numbers look worse as well.

If you keep the speed and the revs down, you'll get pretty good numbers. Too fast and you're going to suffer, they have the aerodynamics of a brick.

21. wreck

wreck Member

I keep pretty close track of my mileage.

95 Carry 4wd
    high of 43.398 KPG in may of 2011
    low of 16.868 KPG in February of 2012 - It hated being driven before the choke turned off.

95 Deckvan 4WD
    47.004 KPG - first tank so it's all the data I have

22. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

LOL! I don't think I've ever seen someone use those units for fuel economy. Mixed measurement systems are typically bad practice (especially when "gallon" isn't very specific).

If you want metric units, use L/100km (I don't like the convention and would prefer km/L, but it's less ambiguous than anything with "gallons" in it).
    If you want to use 'merican units, use miles/US Gallon (1 US Gallon = 3.785 L = 0.833 Imperial Gallon).

Are you using US or UK gallons?

23. wreck

wreck Member

How is it bad practice? The trucks odo reads in KM & the pumps I buy from are in gallons measured out 3 decimal places.

Gallons is pretty specific unit of measure, All pumps here are state regulated for accuracy, It's not like grandma's cooking with a pinch of this or dash of that.

I'm "just south of Canada" so it would be US gallons.

24. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I recently bought a '93 Hijet S80LP which is a left hand drive,2 wheel drive which had the speed limiting devices disabled.I lifted it 2" and put RX 7 wheels and 195/65R14 tires on it.I live just outside a small town and just drive to & from town,seldom more than 1/2 mile between stop signs or lights,no highway driving.I just checked my mileage today with all figures from a gps and got 31.1 MPG. I'm happy with this.

25. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

31 sounds pretty good to me when I checked mine last was the last long atv power run I took mine on ended up at 35 with atv tires but I ran 150 miles in one day little over 40 to the start point and back home plus 65 on the run. Speed was 40-45 mph going to and fro. And 30 ish during the run. I thought it was a good number. Oh and that's in a 98 scrum 5 speed 4x4

26. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

That sounds real good to me for 4x4 and all.My alternative to the Hijet is my Dodge/Cummins @15 mpg so my 31 is good to me.

27. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Cant complain about that.
    I am sure if everybody stopped and took the time for a good all around tune up and service we would see 30 to 35 mpg average. Over the yrs. Ive seen a few guys complain that they are not getting the 50mpg that were being advertised on some web sites. Well all I can say about that is, the guy that had the 50mpg advertisement was in the used car business before he was in the used mini truck business.

28. Jerry

Jerry New Member

1462 kilometers=908.44 miles
    130.02 litres of fuel=28.60 imperial gals
    34.34 u.s. gals
    miles/imperial gal=31.76
    miles/u.s. gal=26.48
    litres per hundred kilometers=8.89

29. Bumping an old thread, but:

'94 HiJet 4wd. Bonestock, Carb. Winter driving (< 0 deg F - 32 deg F), 5200 ft+ elev.
    99% 2wd, 80% highway commuting - (2mi in town, 8mi hwy). Hwy @ 90kph-100kph.

Running 91 octane, ethanol free.

The first 2 tanks since I bought it run about 23mpg. It will be interesting to see what happens after it warms up and gets a Lift with some more practical mud&snow tires - and maybe a high-altitude carb tweak.

30. Update: Daily driving at subzero (F) temps and 10mi @ 90kph (and it barely warms up...)= sucky mileage . 18mpg. My Ford Ranger got that.

BUT... better weather with temps above Freezing, I'm up to 26mpg for the same driving, including spurts in 4wd to get through hub-deep slush and icy patches.