1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

widest tire

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by nick2010, Jul 13, 2010.

1. nick2010

nick2010 Member

what is the widest tires you guys run on your trucks? i have a 97 minicab and plan on running a 8 inch tire, but i would like to run a bigger one, i plan on driving the truck into muddy fields and want to sink in a little as possibly...what is your guys tire and what have you done to your truck to make them fit?

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

8 on the front is probably all your gonna get. I've seen some run 10-12 on the rear with negative offset wheels. Not sure about the specifics though.

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

You can get away with 10's on the rear. As for front 8's unless you space them out. You have to do your own math. Go to "Parts Unlimited ATV Catalog" and see what you can figure out on the spacers. Ive seen a truck with basic lift with 8's up front and 10's on the rear.
    In general the 8's foot print is pretty minimal. Consider the trucks weight is only 1400/1500 lbs, thats 350 + - per tire. That not much.

4. erixun

erixun Member

I am running 24x8x12 Kenda Bear Claws on stock rims. Seem to do ok! Not sure if you could or would even want to, run any wider tires on stock the stock rims, pretty sure that it would not be safe either. But if you bought after market rims, I think you would be only limited to the available rims with your bolt pattern and offset needed.

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

As the others have said, 8" or so is probably about the widest you can get away with in the front without getting too complicated. The rear you're not so limited and, in fact, there have been some folks that have done dual wheel setups in the rear. My truck is strictly used on the farm so I use AG tread tires: 8.5" front and 10.5" in the rear. I try to avoid real soft ground but so far the floatation and ground impact have been great. I should point out that these particular tires definitely run narrower than the advertised width. The actual width of the rears is closer to 9.5". Other brands (like the carlisle ALL-Trails) run truer to the stated width. I have a set of 8.5" All Trails on the front of my tractor and they are actually 8.5" wide (on an 8" wide rim). But I don't like All Trails in slick stuff because they fill up instantly. Of course, they don't hum and buzz like the AG tread tires do though! :D

[​IMG]

6. nick2010

nick2010 Member

where did you get your tires from? are they on stock rims or did you have to buy rims? also what is the offset in the back to fit the bigger tires?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Check my INTRO THREAD :)