1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why wont my Daihatsu HiJet idle?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Chickenman914, Jan 6, 2009.

1. KRAIG STROM

KRAIG STROM Member

Thank you!. Adjusting the ignition distributor is over my paygrade but I will tackle that after I try the new FJ solenoid on my old carb. I may also need to run new vacuum lines.

2. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

vacuum leaks are 85% of carb and idling problems, use a vacuum gauge or carb cleaner, carb cleaner will send the engine to high idle if you have a vacuum leak, make sure the vacuum port in the air cleaner canister is working properly, also check that your vacuum advance hose isn’t cracked coming off the distributor to the vacuum manifold tree. The vacuum manifold tree is brass on the bottom to go in to the block and plastic on top. Plastic wears out with time and will break or leak, which causes a vacuum leak. Some manifold vacuum trees are 3 or 4 port, make sure to replace it with a new one. When I buy parts I buy 3 at a time that way I have them on hand or in case they can’t get them any more. The vacuum manifold tree is located behind the carb. If you looking at the carb from the right side of the bed, it will be to your 1 O’clock tucked down inside. Remember to use a marker or different colored tape to mark the vacuum lines so you know where everything goes back too! Good luck!’:cool:

3. Andrew Wyman

Andrew Wyman New Member

I see this thread is from over 1 year ago but if anyone is still hear maybe they could help me. I have an S83P and I'm having the issue where it starts fine and runs on high idle but when it warms up and the idle drops it kills the engine and its very hard to get it started again. I replaced the vacuum lines and the vacuum tree. That didn't make any difference. I pulled off the carb and I am going to go through it tonight and I need to replace the idle solenoid as well. My question is, once the engine is warm and the idle comes down is the choke flap supposed to be all the way open or is it still partially closed?

4. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

Adjust your low idle up more! There is two idle adjustments one for when the choke is on and one when the choke is off! These carbs are very sensitive!

5. Andrew Wyman

Andrew Wyman New Member

Here is where I'm at right now. I tried adjusting the carb idle screws but I can't get it to idle. Either it's racing way higher than idle or it stalls out and won't restart. And when you step on the throttle it revs and then takes a long time to come back down to idle. But my choke never opens all the way. Is that normal? I removed the carb and I'm in the middle of cleaning it out and rebuilding it. I think the idle circuit must be clogged or the idle solenoid isn't working. I will be back once I've finished with that. Just wondering if my choke is working correctly? The only time the choke opens is when you step on the throttle and the throttle pulls the choke open then it closes again.

6. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member