1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why is my oil light coming on?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Barky, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Barky

Barky Member

Confused: '91 Sambar. The truck starts fine, runs fine, drives fine. But when it warms up the oil light comes on. Of course I have checked the level and everything is fine. One fellow thought it is the oil pressure switch(?) that needs replacing. Anyone else got any ideas?:confused:

2. BLES

BLES Member

Sounds exactly like an oil pressure problem. Either, the sender or low oil pressure. When cold, the oil is thicker (higher pressure), but when it warms and the oil thins it will have lower pressure. If you can access the sender easily and it's a common thread size, install a mechanical oil pressure guage temporarily and see what pressure you've got. Lots of older Chrysler vehicles (and likely others) used to trigger the oil light around 6 psi. Anything above that would keep the oil light off. The light didn't tell you if your oil pressure was poor, fair, or good.... just that it was above 6psi.:confused: Also, is it possible the oil is not the proper viscosity??
    BLES

3. Barky

Barky Member

Thanks, I'll look into that...just gotta find where all that stuff is located. The truck just came in and I'll have to check the viscosity of the oil, I'm pretty sure it's 10w-30.

4. Colin

Colin Member

The pressure switch is located next to the oil filter.

5. Barky

Barky Member

Sure enough, that was the problem. I got the part, found where to put it (thanks Colin), and we are off and running again, problem solved! Just went out tonight for a long drive...so good!

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Just for reference. Where did you find the part at? What vehicle was it originally made for?

7. Barky

Barky Member

The part was for a Subaru Justy, available from a regular parts store, also found them on line. I got mine from the place I bought the truck.