1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Exhaust from sambar

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Smf834, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Smf834

Smf834 Member

So my sambar had been spitting white smoke since last fall. It isn’t pouring out a smoke screen but it is more white smoke than normal. It doesn’t smell coolant to me. Engine oil looks normal, and after i changed sparkplugs, it starts and runs pretty smooth. I took the carb out before and it looks pretty clean inside.

I don’t know if its getting the dreaded head gasket or stem valve issues i hear so much about. Is there anything i can diagnose without tearing things apart?

if i need to replace the gasket, how difficult would that be?

thanks!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

If you have a vacuum assisted brake system, and the master cylinder goes bad, you can suck brake fluid into the intake. It doesn’t burn and comes out as really white smoke.

If you have access to a source of compressed air, I recommend buying a cylinder leak down tester, and checking to see if you have leakage from the cylinders, and if so, where it is going.

3. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Are you burning any oil, or losing any coolant? Does the oil on the dipstick or the coolant look milky?

4. Smf834

Smf834 Member

I actually just replaced the MC, but i will check...

5. Smf834

Smf834 Member

Oil on dipstick look dark, like any older vehicles:)

coolant level has been average, i did lose some when i took the carb out and noticed one of the clamp wasn’t reinstalled properly.

I was gonna do a compression test. Would it reveal anything regarding white exhaust?

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

A compression test will tell you if you have low compression on any of the cylinders. They should be within 5% of each other.