1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Terrh, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Terrh

Terrh New Member

I have a choice of 2 local mini trucks, I am going to buy one but neither /quite/ suits my needs.

It will primarily be for on-road use, demonstrating them to local people as there's no dealership around here and I want to start them up. So I'm buying a single truck before I go and buy several containers, to start showing them.

Anyways, the 2 nearest trucks to me that I'm interested in (both are still 100+ miles away) are:

1: 1987 mitsubishi. Very clean, supercharged 550cc 5 speed 4x4.

2: 1992 mitsubishi. less clean but still decent, 660cc 4 speed 4x4 w/ dump box.

Ideally I'd have a 5 speed AND dump box, but I think it's going to be easier to put a dump in than find a 5 speed trans for the newer truck. The truck will primarily be used ON ROAD at HIGH SPEED - I live in the country and will be driving it all over the place. I'm just not sure that a 4 speed would be very nice for that.

Anyone here driven both a supercharged 550 and a early 90's 660? Are they similar in performance? I'm just worried about the 550 being a dog.

The older 550's are also slightly smaller but I'm not sure where they put the "smaller" at. I believe they're 3.5" shorter. I'm hoping they have 3.5" less bed space than 3.5" less cab space. the 1987 is also slightly cheaper (will probably cost me about $4000 vs about $5000 for the 92)

So I ask of you mini truck forum, which do you think suits my needs best?

2. Subaru

Subaru Member

Where are you located?
    I am sure you will get some offers from dealers if they knew;)

3. Colin

Colin Member

I don't know anything about the Mitsubishis, but Nate's 550cc truck is ever-so-slightly quicker than my 660cc Sambar. We were racing last night. :(

4. frostback

frostback Member

Early 550 trucks are getting harder to find parts for. The supercharged and carbed trucks are known to be finicky to keep in tune. When running well they are quite quick. The cab on the early Minicab is nice but small. 550 trucks sit quite high and have excellent approach and departure angles. I know little about the newer 660 trucks except they have a larger cab and parts are more easily available.

Derek