[SOLVED] Where can I find a rear right cv axle?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Dylan Carpenter, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Dylan Carpenter

Dylan Carpenter New Member

1993 Subaru Sambar 4wd en07c

I have a sqealing sound coming from the rear of my truck and it does it louder and more often when I turn left. The inner boot of my rear right cv axle is ripped and it has some play in the joint. So I’m guessing that is where the noise is coming from. Either way it needs to be replaced but I cannot find one because they have been discontinued. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get one?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. Patrick Nguyen

Patrick Nguyen New Member

CV joint don't make a squeal when they fail and in general the rear CV's does not move during turning. They normally make a knocking sound. The CV should move in and out along the length, but not side to side on the joint. Check whether the sound is coming from the engine area rather than the CV joints. Turn the engine off when you hear the noise and report.

3. Dylan Carpenter

Either way I need a new cv axle. If it’s not that than it’s the differential or a wheel bearing. The wheel bearing don’t have any play in them so I suspect it’s not that.

4. banzairx7

banzairx7 Active Member

It's probably the wheel bearing. When they go they can take out the CV with them, but not always. New CV's are really expensive, ~$800 from Subaru. I had to replace one of mine and got a used one. I took it apart and regreased it for good measure and haven't had any problems.

You didn't say what year truck you had. The earlier ones the CV is held in with a pin at the trans. Later ones are a snap ring. Here is an early one- https://autoparts.beforward.jp/detail/Transmission---Drivetrain/Drive-Shafts/PA39433336/

5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

There are two wheel bearings on each side of the rear, as well as the brake drum. It is very unlikely you would detect any play due to a failed bearing.

Luckily, the rear bearing is the same as the front bearing for a Subaru Justy so it is available at US Subaru Dealers, it is Subaru part number 723038050.

6. Dylan Carpenter

I replaced the cv boot and the noise still exists. I believe it is the wheel bearing like rkrenicki said. It’s going to be a pain since my cv axle wouldn’t come out of the hub.

7. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Try AMTC Rebuild Center; 155 Bamboo Lane, Jackson, MO 63755. They can rebuild and reboot the CV joints on the axle(s) you have. I built a special reusable wooden box to ship two axles at a time, fronts or backs, from my TT2. Don't know about anyone else, but the 2" lift on my TT2 is bad news for the CV boots.

Years ago, I also ordered a pair of new factory axles from Right Drive in Ontario, Canada. That is now an extremely expensive route. Duty and shipping are prohibitive. New Subaru OEM axles are incredibly expensive. Even used ones are pretty pricey. Be aware that the rear axles are of different lengths, while the fronts are both the same length and interchangeable. Right Drive can still help you if you find no other choices. I worked with them recently on another part.

The first time I pulled my TT2 axles, it took forever to free a couple of them from the hub. I recall soaking them in Breakaway for days and using my complete Armstrong 71-300 puller kit. I had to use every trick in the book, including a heat gun. I was afraid to use a torch, for what it might damage in the bearings. I also purchased a forged steel attachment for the slide hammer which facilitates separating the inner end of the axles from the transfer cases without damaging anything. The alloy housings can be cracked if pried upon.

Good luck to you.

8. Goldencat7350

Goldencat7350 New Member

Hey Rick,

I myself drive a 1999 TT2 and ran into rear CV Axle trouble (left and right). Im trying to Frankenstein something together to avoid paying for OEM or used CV’s due to price. Would you happen to know the spline count of the CV’s inner and outer joints on both sides?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,