1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When do you shift?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Kevinj, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Kevinj

Kevinj New Member

I have a 2002 Carry 5 speed and no tach. I have the stock size 12 inch tires. Does anyone have an opinion on the approximate (safe) top speed in each gear before Shifting. I also noticed that, according to my GPS on flat ground, to go 55mph actual, I have to be at 97kmph instad of 88. I am hoping 13 inch tires might rectify that.

I also have a '97 Mit Minicab. On the Minicab the speedometer has 'shifting points' printed on the face of the speedometer so you know when to shift, or at least to let you know the when you are over-revving. It indicates shifting from 1st at at about 28kmph and to my 'American engine' ear it sounds like it is over-revved at 15kmph!

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I'm not sure on the answer to your question.
    The trucks vary from brand to brand with the gear ratio's used in the diffs and also in the gearing for the 5th overdrive and if equiped with H/L tranny case.
    Kind of weird that your speedo would be so far out of whack with the stock tires on it.
    The redlines on these engines vary quite a bit from a low of 5500 up to 7500 rpm but I would guess with yours being newer [zuki] that it will be 7000 to 7500 for redline.

3. slimbad

slimbad Member

Kevinj,

I agree with Timetripper on the ranges of the engines. But, unless you are dragracing:D your trucks just drive it. If it sounds like you are over revving - shift, if it seems to lug in the next gear rev it a little higher next time. These engines do rev high (660cc 3cyl) but, you should be able to tell if you are in too "tall" of a gear, and if so downshift.

They are pretty tough but err to the side of safety and don't over rev.......later, slim

4. Kevinj

Kevinj New Member

I guess it's all relative to what we are used to. I used to ride a Harley and would not rev anywhere near where I rev my Goldwing. And, I would not even think of revving the Goldwing any where near where the 'crotch-rockets' rev.

5. Kevinj

Kevinj New Member

I guess I was thinking if someone out there had the same year or close, they might have more experience with what kmph range they use.

6. slimbad

slimbad Member

Kevinj,

I know what you are saying. I would say more in the "Goldwing range" and not the "crotch rocket" range of rpm. But, as Timetripper said it's strange that your speedo is out of whack with your gps - speedo shud be accurate/calibrated with the 12" tires - don't know....Cold up there???.....later, slim

7. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i've driven everything from diesels with a 2000rpm redline to sport bikes with a 14,000 rpm redline. you have to have a "feel" for the power curve on everything. no need to rev it till the pistons are trying to swap cylinders if it quit making power a thousand rpm's ago.

when i was drag racing we used to see the kids in the honda cars rev them till they hit the limiter at 6500rpm... but that motor only made power till 5000.

see my point? you have to learn the motor... i never had a tach in my daihatsu, but did pretty well by the seat of my pants.. i only hit the rev limiter twice. once in 3rd gear when i made the video about my cattle stack exhaust... and once around 145kmh on the hiway.