1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wheels freeze up

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Jakester, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Jakester

Jakester Member

Anyone have trouble with rear wheels freezing up? My '95 ACTY rear wheels will freeze and I have to put a heat lamp on the wheel hub to thaw. Won't move and pulling will only drag the wheels. In nothern Maine this is a problem. I will admit I go through alot of water and wet conditions thoughout the fall.

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Are you using the parking brake when you let it sit overnight? Try parking it next time without the brake and see if it helps. If it does the parking brake cables might have water in them locking the brakes on.

3. starpuss

starpuss Member

give the rim a good kick with steel toe boots and it will fix it when they do that.

4. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Definitely that time of year to not use the e-brake. Also When it dips down to 0 degrees or minus temps and the roads are snow packed and icy I just have to leave the 4wd engaged because the linkage freezes.

5. vtg

vtg Member

I've had this happen plenty here in our cold and snowy Manitoba winters. My farm is 12 miles north of town and the first ten miles is pavement which is generally well plowed. The last two miles is gravel road which oftentimes is heavilly snow covered and/or drifted. Travelling to my farm in winter conditions seems to be the ideal situation for frozen up wheels. I believe it is because I've traveled enough distance at highway speeds to get everything warmed up.......then I hit the snow section that instantly cools everything down and results in frozen brakes within a few minutes of parking the truck.

My fix isn't really a fix, but it sure seems to solve the problem. What I do now is after I park the truck and shut it off, I return to the truck in about 5 minutes time (length of time can vary depending on the outside temperature). Then I fire it back up and drive the truck ahead about 40 feet or so. I try to time this so that it's done just as the ice in the brakes/wheels is starting to form and take hold, but before it has had a chance to really freeze up. Once you get the knack of it, you'll be able to leave the truck sit all day in 30 below weather and she'll be free and easy to get going 10 hours later.