1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel offset for Mitsubishi

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by okeitrucker, Oct 14, 2007.

1. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Just wondering what wheel offset people are using for early 90s Minicabs. I have a set of 23" All Trails on wheels with a 5+2 offset that fits my 93 Suzuki, but not my 93 Mitsubishi (in the front that is, they fit fine in the rear). The front wheel touches the lower strut spring mount, and the tire touches the coil. I tried them on a truck with no lift, and it looks like some trimming of the door and fender is necessary in order to keep them from rubbing. Thanks for any advice.

-Hiram

2. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Hiram,
    Not the complete answer but I have 175/70 R 13 Winterforce M+S radials mounted on UFS alloy wheels that work on a Mitsubishi with no lift. The front wheels are very close to the strut but adding a s.s. washer on the stud sets the wheel out a bit and provides adequate clearance. I don't know the offset though, sorry.
    Bruce

3. nick

nick Member

Hiram,
    I had the exact same issue on the last couple trucks I bought. Guys really like the all trails but with that wide, square shouldered tread pattern they need more clearance. They make a great all purpose tread pattern tire. I tried a 4-3 offset and had better luck as far as space between the tire/rim and strut but still catches the corners w/o a lift. So I go with Carlisle 489's or ACT's on my Mitsu trucks and try to sell the all trails on Suzukis.

4. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Bruce,

Thanks for the tip about spacing it out with washers. jliltd had said that he does that, also.

Nick,

I was wondering about a 4+3 offset. Too bad the tire will still rub, without a lift. Are you using lifts on any of your trucks? If so, what kind are you using and how much are you lifting them? Thanks.

-Hiram

5. nick

nick Member

Just ordered a 2" lift kit for the mits, will give that a try and see if it's enough. I've tried the 3 inch lifts in both mits and suz but at full suspension droop on a jack in the shop you can hardly turn the front left tire it is binding so hard. Chances are good that wouldn't happen in most applications but I don't want a customer coming back to me with shattered CV joints or front differentials because I sold him a truck with a lift that I knew caused driveline binding. Will let ya know how the 2" works out. Should have it sometime this week. Nick

6. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Nick,
    Good luck with that lift kit. I have been really wondering why no one ever "raves" about how nice the lift results are. I am a skeptic until someone can prove that the drive line issue is solved for long term reliability.

7. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Nick,

I certainly understand your hesitation about putting a 3 inch lift on for a customer, knowing they may have problems down the road. I'll be interested to know how the 2 inch lift works out.

And TetsuKuma, I'm with you on that one. I've also been waiting for someone to say they've had such and such lift on their truck for a while and have had absolutley no problems with it. Preferably someone who has had one on for a good year or more, and has used the truck frequently. Obviously, most of us want to be able to lift these trucks and are hoping someone with the skills will be able to develop a lift that doesn't end up causing problems. For those of you who are working on that, thank you for putting in the time to do so.

-Hiram

8. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Nick,

Your 94 Mitsu looks awesome! Nice camo job, and the wheels and All Trails look sharp. Did you put your 2" lift on that truck? 4+3 offset? What is that camo pattern called? Did you get a stencil kit? Looks good!

-Hiram

9. nick

nick Member

That camo pattern is proprietary/ "custom" called "Camo by Nick" :) Just a free hand job. The leaves were fall stencils that my wife got from a craft store. Worked great.

Lift kit is 2" from Jimmy Johnson at
    http://www.mactownminitrucks.homestead.com/PartsandAccessories.html
    Kit went in great! No problems with installation.

The wheels and tires I got from this guy.
    Very helpful and knowledgeable! Great to deal with, fast shipping!
    He is located just west of MPLS/St Paul MN.

Lawrence (Larry) J Leuer
    L & L Repair www.tirewiz.com
    tirentube@aol.com
    Toll Free # 866-420-7151
    Local 763-420-7151

Went with ITP aluminum rims, pretty sure they were the 5+2 offset 4x115 bolt pattern. With lift kit there's about 1/2" between tire and strut tower. I had to trim the front edge of the wheel well and a little on the door edge bottom to clear the lugs when turning even with the lift. Now they fit great.

Working on a Blackline plow installation right now.

10. michael a

michael a Member

Hey Nick what kind of paint did you use? Looks great

11. nick

nick Member

Just used the Krylon Ultra Flat colors, dried to a really nice flat, not glossy finish. Looks great in the woods. If it were mine to keep, I'd probably keep the stock flat black wheels for in the woods but the ITP's and All trails, sure dress it up.
    Nick

12. michael a

michael a Member

Nick, how many cans of paint did it take to paint the mits? I'm going to do mine soon.

13. nick

nick Member

About six cans of whatever your base color is going to be. I made mine the flat green. Next one will be the black with other colors over it. Just need it to warm up here in WI so I can get back to my painting. Can't seem to get the shop warm enough.
    Nick

14. michael a

michael a Member

Thanks nick, i was thinking about just doing it in the flat green with the flat black on the wheels,frame and front bumper but not for sure yet. Thanks again.

15. De-icer

De-icer Member

has anyone had any experience trying to use ITP 7 spoke rims on 98 or older trucks? I have several Mitsu's I want to put them on and am looking for a little input!
    Thanks!!

16. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

De-icer,
    Database started in Reference section. Your answer may appear there over time...

17. De-icer

De-icer Member

Yeah, I kinda started that whole thing, I was hoping someone might have an immediate idea for this particular application

18. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hi...don't if you got your back spacing sorted, but if it helps my 92 mitsu has 5" of back spacing from bolting facing to strut. if you are off road an atv wheel of 6" wide with a 4x2 will work but for a tire bigger then 22.5" you will need a lift. plus all atv wheels are not rated for the road, here i drive on the street my tires are 165/60-14 and are 21.78" tall on a 14-6" +35mm off-set rim, hope this helps.:)

here are my wheels ;D

wyatt

Attached Files:

• 20.JPG
      20.JPG
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • 21.JPG
      21.JPG
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
  19. Dan

Dan Member

I'm running the factory rims that came with it as a turf option. 12x7 , 3 1/2 offset inside and out. oem recommended tires are 23-8.50-12. I have carlisle multitrac tires and they have zero interference with no lift.

20. slimbad

slimbad Member

My U.S. spec 94 mits came with the same set-up as Dan's (turf option -12" factory rims). I swapped out to Dunlop AT's- Front AT25x8-12/rear AT25x10-12. No lift and have no clearance issues with struts - only a slight tire rub on inner portion of mud flap at full lock turn - just enough to clean the mud off.....later, slim

21. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

wow...i wish i had the clearance you guys have so i could run a wider tire :(

wyatt

22. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hey dan
    do you have any pictures of your truck with your turf tires on, sounds pretty cool :D

wyatt

23. Dan

Dan Member

eh... not so spectacular. I like the look of everyone else's with the atv tires and rims. I'm thinking of going with the tractor lug next time around.

Attached Files:

24. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

cool pic's!

did those fender flares come stock?...they look pretty cool:D i think you guys running these truck off road are having too much fun;) i think when i get my mitsu done i will get another one and make it off road

by the way sweet doors!!

wyatt

25. Dan

Dan Member

yeah, the fenders came stock. So did the safari/bar doors. We ordered most of them without full doors because the maintenance crew was really rough on them. wish i had them on there now. I've got an extra set of the bars if you're interested.

26. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

well thanks for the offer but i think up here north of edmonton alberta canada most of the year we need door to keep the heat in:D but for where you are there great to let the heat out except for the dust :D
    wyatt

27. minimurph

minimurph Member

safari doors

H dan- those safari doors are exactly what I was thinking for my 96 hijet- do you still have them?

murph

28. Dan

Dan Member

Murph,

I still have them and would be happy to get them out of the garage but...

I think you would be better off tracking down the bars that were made for the daihatsu's. I have had both vehicles and the latch mechanism and hinges probably wont be quite right since these are for the mitsubishi's. kinda like trying to put chevy doors on a ford... I guess you could modify them to fit but, the right ones will just bolt right on. let me know...

dan

29. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Spacers

Why not order a set of spacers for the front from SuperATV? Then you can use your All-Terrains no sweat. Ask for Harold.

30. minimurph

minimurph Member

safari doors and offset

Thanks for the quick reply dan- I just caught your mitsu logo on the string. I have to confess I'm a newbie, and don't even know what "offset" means. Now I've read all the threads on wheels here, but didn't find an explanation. Here's what I'd like to get steered straight on:

What I have: 96 Diahatsu- stock wheels/tires
    What I want: 23" carlisle 489s, 2" lift
    What I want to know:
    1. can I get 23's to fit stock 12 x 7 wheels, or do I have to buy aftermarket rims?
    2. With a 2" lift, will I need different shocks?
    3. What is offset?!

thanks, please be gentle.