1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wheel lug/nut size? M12?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by John Canfield, Sep 25, 2008.

1. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

I galled the threads on one wheel stud with my new wheel nuts :frustration:. I installed my new wheels and all was fine until I needed to switch back to the old wheels/tires for painting. One nut was very difficult to remove and it galled the stud and the nut threads are messed up as well.

Does anybody know what tap and die size I would need to chase the threads? The stud is approximately 7/16" which is about an M12.

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

3. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Good plan

Milt - that's a better plan (better as in less $$). Here's one I just ordered. Shipping was as much as the tool :rolleyes:

4. gregw98

gregw98 Member

I did the same thing this week. I went to a motorcycle shop with my nut in hand and had them match it up. Mine was a 10-1.25 about 1 1/4 inch long. I got the nut and stud but haven't installed them yet. I boogered up the stud too much to save. Damned impact wrenches.
    gator

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

to keep that from happening in the future a little anti-sieze goes a long way. i used to put it on every lugnut.

6. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

+1 from me

7. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Guilty

Bingo!

Guilty as charged - I was using an air impact driver and wondering why the gun was laboring in reverse. Funny thing is all of the lug nuts spun on with a normal sound and I used a torque setting of two out of four with one being the least torque.

I can't remember ever galling lug nuts and I owned my first car in 1968 (yup - I'm an OF!) [Ooh - that first car.. a 1958 Chevy Biscayne with a 348 (big block at that time, also came in a 409) and Powerglide tranny (two speeds - low and high. No kidding!) Spent every nickel I made on that car. :p

8. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

12 mm studs

My local Cosco Tire center carries both the 12 x 1.25 and the 12 x 1.5 studs and lug nuts!

Chuck in Indy

9. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

My brother-in-law broke off a lug bolt as we were changing all the tires--not his fault. I have been running around with only three bolts on that wheel. I will get it replaced eventually.

Sam

10. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

early geo metro's have 10 MM studs .

11. prairiehawk

prairiehawk New Member

Ahhh!! The good ole slip n slide powerglide. Back in the day my buddy had a Skylark with one. We changed it a lot!! He finally got a THM350 that lasted.

12. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Thread file - yes!

My thread file arrived today and I determined that my wheel studs were M12-1.25. Unfortunately I didn't look closely at the new wheel lug nuts which are plainly marked 12-1.25!

Anyway, the thread file did the trick on the wheel stud and it is somewhat back to normal - normal enough for the nut to fit :D I still have my boogered up wheel nut that the thread file won't help with; I'll try some motorcycle/ATV dealers to find a replacement.