1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the deal with cv boots

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Jim Nelson, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I have a '95 Scrum, which we all know is a Carry,and one of the boots is shot so I ordered 4 from G&R that they say will fit.I've never had any thing to do with these things so I called my mechanic buddy and we took the axles out and he took them down to a shop to have them install the boots.The axle end is ok but the differential end is way big.With my caliper the old is 2 3/8" and the new is 2 5/8".Searching old threads I found where Littlefoot said he used a NAPA boot cvb6862181 which my NAPA dealer says is the larger size.So what's the deal?I just can't believe you can squeeze these down 1/4" with any hope of it working. Sure would appreciate and suggestions.
    Thanks Jim

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hey Jim, the deal is to take the old boot to your local ATV dealer. Best fit you will find. I have a post on here about the universal ATV ones, stallion or something. They have multiple mounting rings and you just cut them down to the correct size. Pics are in there. They last me through the season, usually. The Napa ones I tried, lasted a week...I'm talking about bush ware, sticks and gravel and such. Last time I asked, they said that a new brand was coming out that was sold as indestructible. This year maybe....but the fit is really good.

How did the O2 sensor fix work out?

3. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Thanks spaner I'm going to an ATV shop today to try to find something.I finally got the O2 sensor out and cleaned the threads up and the light is brighter now when I first start up but fades out as it warms up so that's where the problem is but it's no big deal now that I know what it is.Thanks again for the info.

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hmm, just for fun, I'd run a jumper cable right on the sensor to the battery negative.

Only way to be sure.

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I'll try that in the AM.I went to 3 ATV dealers today and finally found one guy that was even remotely interested and ordered some "Fast Boot" universal boots which sound like they will work.It amazes me that in this economy no one will even try to find a part.One of the more helpful guys I ran into today said they can;t even sell a bolt or nut without an application or it screws up the computer inventory system.Sounds to me like there is a problem with the inventory system.
    Thanks again for your input.

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Again, Hmmmm, that's interesting. My question would have been.."What do you put on the bikes that you repair here?" "Go get me a box of that, off the self".
    If they order just what they need, when they need it, from an OEM supplier, not even stocking OEM? Hmmm

That's just a bad way to run a shop. The ATV shop in town here, just has them behind the counter.

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?7089-Custom-front-half-shafts/page2&post=#21

7. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Well I ended up using the Fast Boot Universal kit,part #560785.The small end fit great and the smaller step on the large end fit just about perfectly.The 4 kits out the door were $81.85.
    Spaner,I cleaned up a spot on the body of the o2 sensor and ran a jumper to the neg. post and the light went right out so I cleaned up the threads and mounting surface as well as I could and it still comes on when it's cold and gradually dims out as the engine warms up.I took the sensor back out and checked continuity to the wire connection and it is good so I just don't know what's happening.

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Well it's awesome that you got the boots figured out Jim. That's the way to do it. Let us know how they hold up through the season.
    As far as the O2, at least you're sure now. Reads like you need a grounding strap from the engine to the cat. Bad grounding on the cat to manifold to block. Just jump the whole thing with a strap.

As far as vendors go, I've got a little story.
    I've been going to the same place for years for auto parts and I've got a buddy that works there. I always bring him a coffee when I visit. I go in the other day with a concept for replacement of the front calipers on my truck. Tell him what I want, and he's like.."hmmm...lets try..05 ford", he types that into the computer, gets the number, goes in the back and then comes out with the part. "that what you looking for?" "looks pretty close" I say, "that just might work". So I charge it to my card and take it out to the truck. Nope, don't fit. So I bring it back, and he gives me the full credit. His new manager comes out, been there two weeks. Apparently he's been watching our exchanges over the last few weeks, as I come in often. "You can't be doing this" he says. "We can't give special privileges to our friends, and we sure as hell can't lend out parts on a trial basis".
    My buddy's looking at me like, ho..sh!t...
    I nod to him and say "pull up my account". "Pull the history for the last 5 years, just the total"

$14,567.62

"Do you want to keep my business?" I say...
    He looks right at me and says "there's no problem here" and goes back to his office.

Later, when I was leaving, he stops me and says "by the way, I take double double"...

And you can't get a vendor to order you some boots...[​IMG]

9. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I guess they want us all to drive brand X and conform to their way of thinking but I'm just not wired that way.It's a good thing I'm an old guy on the way out .Thanks for your help.
    Jim