1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the rattle behind driver?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by chris debardlebon, Jun 6, 2021.

1. chris debardlebon

chris debardlebon New Member

My HA3 rattles at slow speeds. There is one especially annoying behind the driver seat. I popped the plastic cover off the seat belt enclosure, but the rattle is lower, like around the lumbar area. Does anyone know what is is? It is about to drive me bat dropping crazy. never mind, it was the door making the cab rattle. Adjusted the lock position.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. Arty

Arty Active Member

I had a pretty annoying rattle (maybe a clang?) in what seemed to be the lower center area behind the cab area that frustrated me for quite a while.
    It turned out to be the engine hatch cover in the center front of the bed. - - I just had to bend the tab on the front of the lid in a bit to make a tighter fit, then bolt it back in.

3. shogun

shogun Active Member

On my HA3 truck I could remove the driver seat, just 4 bolts, underneath you will find a lot of things like the airfilter for the AC, some AC parts like evaporator etc.
    Remove the seat and see what is rattling there, and a good chance to clean the airfilter there.

4. Bert Stevens

Bert Stevens Active Member

my rattle was from broken bolt holding the rack/guard that protects the cab, 1 of 4 by rear window. Have you found your source yet?

5. Drake

Drake New Member Supporting Member

S510P
    I also have a rattle at slow and high speeds that sounds like its coming from behind the passenger seat or somewhere around the back/side of cab. I removed the entire seat belt piece enclosure and drove it, but still rattles.
    About to drive in insane!!
    Any insight would be much apprecated.!!!!

6. Arty

Arty Active Member

On my '92 MiniCab, I also had an annoying rattle behind the passenger seat.

What I found, was that on the MiniCab, the jack is mounted in a metal pocket under the seat in the engine area.. It sits in a little bag that slides into the pocket, and fits quite loosely.
    All that is necessary is to open up the scissor type jack just enough to make it a snug fit in the pocket, and the rattle is gone.

Hope this helps.

7. Drake

Thanks so much for responding!!
    I did check that area and the jack is tight.
    It’s the oddest thing. It sounds like it’s on the passenger side around where the seatbelt mounts in the frame. I road in it today sitting on passenger side and still can’t figure out where it’s coming from. And it’s rattling even more.

8. Drake

Problem solved!!! It's the left front side gate handle. I had a bed liner sprayed a few months back and it looks like some of the spray has worn down just enough to make it rattle.
    Had my son drive down a slight hill with the engine off while I was in the truck bed. Could barley hear it from outside, but it was pretty loud from inside cab and sounded like it was coming from seatbelt area.
    would have never guessed it was gate handle.

Thanks for the help!!
    Drake

shogun likes this.
  9. Bobby808

Bobby808 New Member

Man, I just noticed a rattle in the same area by the passenger seat, seat belt mount. I just had a bed liner applied in as well. I'm checking the gate handle today. Thanks!

10. Drake

The rattle was actually coming from the left gate middle hinge. I still haven’t been able to fix it. I put foam between the gate and trunk bed to put pressure on the gate. It stops rattling but not a permanent fix.
    Let me know what u come up with!

11. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

Same rattle on my 97 Acty at slow speeds. I'm going to check tomorrow!

12. rsideout

rsideout New Member Supporting Member

I had a very annoying rattle in the B pillar also. I readjusted the retaining hook and tightened the front side gate handle. I also tightened up a slightly loose "oh shit" handle over the passenger door. The rattle is now gone. It was probably just the side gate handle.

Limestone likes this.