1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do with lock/unlock on front hubs?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by John Canfield, May 11, 2008.

1. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

This might seem like a basic and silly question, but I have never owned a 4x4 with manual locking hubs. We just brought home our "Suzie" yesterday - Suzie is a 1990 Carry with 4 speed and 4wd. While cleaning it up a little, I noticed the front wheels have a "lock - unlock" selector on the end of the hub.

I assume with the selector in the lock position, both front wheels are locked and will always rotate regardless of road conditions? In the unlocked position, only one wheel will rotate depending on the road surface? Or am I off-base here?

Should I leave the hubs unlocked unless I need 4x4?

What is the proper procedure to lock/unlock the hubs?

Thanks for helping out!

John

2. gbrad

gbrad Member

I beleive that those locks disconnect the front wheels from the axles so that you are not rotating the front axle and differential when you are not in four wheel drive.

When you engage four wheel drive in the cab, then you must lock the hubs to connect the front wheels to the axle.

The idea is that you reduce wear and tear on the front drive train components while not in four wheel drive

gbrad.

3. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

The "lock-outs" have to be "locked" in order for your 4-wheel drive to "work". Your 4wd lever in the cab must be in 4wd, as well as having the hubs locked. If you are strictly off-road, you can just leave the hubs "locked". However, if you are driving it on say pavement, its best to keep the hubs "un-locked" to prevent wear on the components. Some trucks have what is called "axle-lock" which is a button that does away with the manual locking hubs like you have.

Also, when the hubs are "locked" , that does not mean both front tires will pull no matter what. When it is "unlocked" , neither tire will pull even if you have the truck shifted into "4wd".

The neat thing about manual locking hubs, is that you can utilize "low range" (if equipped that is), without being in 4wd.

4. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Ahhh... I think I've got it- thanks fellows!!

John

5. hatch

hatch Member

This brings me to a question, I have two, my older truck has manual locking hubs and the newer doesn't but has the axle lock button. Now my question is I had planned to move the hubs to my newer truck, that is if they would fit. So is this something that can be done and actually what function does the axle lock button serve?

6. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

I'm guessing axle lock is a differential lock. Have no clue about moving the hubs.