1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your truck today?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Coast Steve, Aug 25, 2010.

1. ttc

ttc Active Member

surprising what you can fit on them.

2. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Nice! I once helped a friend move a couch that was longer than my bed. I agree, they are troopers.

I am still without a truck that can stop. Waiting on the status of a master cylinder kit rebuild kit. Inquired to the seller and found out the site I bought the part from was supposed to have closed last month. So he is checking if he even has the parts (he only does Ebay now..) and if he doesn't have it he'll give me a refund. Kinda tired of waiting and stuff... but I can't do much. The shop is asking around too, so its a race.

For now, I continue to scooter on in these cold mornings.

Attached Files:

3. ttc

ttc Active Member

There has to be something else that shares the same guts in the master.

4. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

I bet there is too. If anything, the shop that is helping will find stuff that fits. They replaced my rear driveshaft universal joint with a tractor's of the same size months ago.

5. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Whoohoo! Rode my scooter over and picked my Hijet up today. And on the way there and back I played with my GoPro. Don't worry if you can't hear me talking, I explain the details in the video description.

Video

6. ttc

ttc Active Member

Lol cool. Good to see your back on 4 wheels.

7. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Same! Got to finally drive down from Whidbey Island to Tacoma this weekend and I picked a new 150cc scooter up with my truck. With the luck of a a 3 day weekend, I continued down 5 South to Oregon that same day where I visited family. Sunday I then hit up the Red Door Meet, a weekly held car meet in Portland. Then drove via 5 north back home that night.

Before all that, I bolted a Jerry can bracket under the bed. Not sure how much weight in gas it can hold... but it is solid. I also got sticker bombed by a friend.

Now time for me to continue PDFing ttc lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  8. Psycho Mike

Psycho Mike Member

Well, today I got a fair bit done on the Carry. Started off my adding a little seal conditioner to the oil...been running well, but I know I have a little bit of sweat at one location (might as well treat them all :) ). She's actually been doing very well as a daily driver since I got the vac lines (mostly) done...still need to do the last couple, but they aren't as critical.

Then I re-aimed the driver's side headlight. It was shooting off into right field since I picked it up...I think the previous owner may have undone the aiming screws to change the bulb it was that far off. Much better now and I see more of the road ahead of me now :)

The last thing I did was by far the biggest thing. My wipers had never been overly quick since I bought the truck, but in the last couple weeks things had become really bad...barely moving at all. I thought maybe it was the motor....but when I gave them a little help, they seemed to zip along not too bad (motor was obviously still pushing). Then, I started hearing a bit of a "clunk" at the passenger side wiper base...figured that was where the problem was. My initial thought was a dry linkage. Well, tonight I took down the steering column, removed the 4 screws (of 7) that were holding the dash on and pulled things apart enough to actually get at the wiper linkages.

Driver's side was fine...popped off the linkage and it flopped around nicely....greased the ball and put it back together. Took off the connection on the passenger side and tried the wiper with it disconnected....still sluggish as all heck. Greased the socket then did the same for the linage connection to the motor ball and reconnected it. Then I took off the motor to passenger side linkage and tried to move that wiper...man, talk about drag. I pulled off the wiper and pulled the spindle assembly from the truck...sheesh...bench vice and crescent wrench to move it...found my problem. I pulled the spindle itself (after fighting with the spring clip forever) and it was a mess. Cleaned it up, re-greased the works and it was butter. Took a while to get it back in and all the linkages connected (big hands, small working space), but once back together, a quick test proved I had found my problem.

Then it just took me a while to get everything back together (stupid short speedo cable run!!!). Having 6 of 7 screws (last one has a broken tab) reduces the rattle in the cab greatly. :) Much better overall. Got a few scratches, but well worth the effort.

Cheers :)

9. darisb

darisb Member

I installed a pair of Afco 250 lb. springs on my Hijet this past weekend. I'm very please with the results.

10. determination

determination New Member

Installed a Rugged Gear single gun rack today that I bought off of Amazon, I must say I like it, it is out of the way and held very securly.

Attached Files:

11. Ronin

Ronin Active Member

Looked at the winter tires, decided they're not gonna do another winter, down to the snow indicators. Plenty of tread left for summer, gonna burn 'em up and throw on my other set of snows come fall. Maybe new tires/rimps next spring... got a summer set of mags but the offset is wide (no good here, ist vorbotten) and the rubber is shot anyhow...

Hit the trails around here plenty anyhow so that'll work.

Did flip the fronts and rear tires/brake inspection and service. Noticed a torn CV boot on one side, pick up a new one Monday and fix that.

Greasy anyhow... might valve adjustment this afternoon, got one or two that are tight, one or five a little loose. Spare valve cover gasket set on hand already, been meaning to do it for a while.

Then she'll really purr... :D

12. Eric Pickle

Eric Pickle New Member

Two new Monroe 32207's under the rear of my '92 Daihatsu Hijet today...

Found out that the wheel spacers I was going to also install have too small in diameter holes for my studs to come through.

Win some, lose some!

13. darisb

darisb Member

I replace the v-belt on my 1990 Hijet. About once a month, since I bought my truck last fall, my battery would be too week to start my truck. I would charge the battery and it would run fine for about a month. I was getting ready to have the alternator rebuilt, when I noticed that the v-belt was really loose. I went to tighten it and discovered that the alternator was already adjusted all the way out. I did some research, and almost bought a Napa 15310. I compared it to my old belt and it appears to be about the same size. I picked out a 25795. That was too small. I returned it and bought a 257300 (same dimensions at their 15300). That fit perfectly. The alternator is centered in the adjustment range. I checked the alternator output with the choke on and it was 14.2 volts. Unnecessary purchase avoided.

14. Ronin

Ronin Active Member

Nice when that happens. :)

Just an oil change, and filter... with the new exhaust and recent tappet adjustment she purrs like a greased duck.

15. Ronin

Ronin Active Member

Find your local neighborhood machine shop and get 'em drilled, or if you've got a drill press have a careful go... how much larger do they need to be?

16. ttc

ttc Active Member

Finally chopped off the muffler and put on a more free flowing muffler. Not to loud too

17. Gus the wise one

Gus the wise one New Member

Me I got my truck running, mostly, and took it out for a drive. BIG SMILES, all around.

18. Gus the wise one

Gus the wise one New Member

Today I changed a fuel line now starts much easier. Also changed spark plugs.

19. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Haven't been on in awhile... but got a fiberglass battery cover in the shape of a NOS bottle complete with a sticker to make it look official. That has been the latest mod.

And attended a car meet down in Portland back on the 3rd of July.

Oh... and expanded my scooter addiction. Big heavy thing.

20. ttc

ttc Active Member

what scooter is that on the truck in the last pic?