1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your truck today?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Coast Steve, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I installed a new emergency brake cable. One of those all day fight with things to get at fasteners and clamps.

It seems that the factory installs the cable before they install the engine and transmission. I’m not sure you can replace one without the engine. Out, unless you have a dump truck so you can get the bed out of the way and get in there, or are willing to take your bed off.

I have a better idea of what it takes now, and could do it in about two hours. but stumbling through it like I did today, it took all day.

Drain and t_g_farrell like this.
  2. Drain

Drain Supporting Moderator Supporting Moderator Supporting Member

3. Kauai Kei

Kauai Kei Member

So many nice trucks....and mine is such a mess.

But...she did get a lift , new wheels and tires...

The alignment isn't perfect, the shop said they did all they could manage...and there's a bit of rubbing at full crank that calls for some fending trimming, but hey, progress!

Kevin in NC, Drain and CVP33 like this.
  4. OhDeer

OhDeer Active Member Supporting Member

Added a USB charger and voltmeter. Nothing crazy but I've done this in all my cars and it's super handy. Looks kind of blurry in the pic but it's not in person.

[​IMG]

https://imgur.com/GfdZulx

CVP33 and t_g_farrell like this.
  5. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

11.7 is a bit low right? Its already paying for itself!

6. OhDeer

OhDeer Active Member Supporting Member

LOL yeah it is a little low. It's been sitting a bit in the garage and I've had it powered on for some stuff but have not driven it, so we'll see if it comes back up after a drive. It's up at 14.3 when running so the alternator is fine. I have been deciding what to do with the battery box anyway, if I grind all the rust out there will be nothing left.

CVP33 likes this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm New Member

Adjusted most of the valves.

Found the lock nuts on 4 of the rocker arms were missing. Had to source some M6 x 0.75 nuts.

One of the adjuster screws is frozen in the rocker arm. I'm afraid to put too much torque on the screw; I may ruin the screw slot.

I need to figure out how to get the rocker out of the head (it's an exhaust rocker - of course. It's under the cam) so I can get it in the vise and work the screw free.

8. Kevin in NC

Kevin in NC Member Supporting Member

Good evening all,
    I put new tires and rims on my Suzuki dump. The truck came to me a few months ago with 12 inch rims, 155mm wide rear tires, 20 inches tall. The front had 145mm wide tires, 21 inches tall. I already had a spare set of 13 inch rims so I bought some Forceum 165/80R-13 mud tires from Priority tire. These tires are 23 inches tall and I read somewhere (here, maybe?) that they fit without having to lift the body. The 13 inch rims I had were for my long-stalled Triumph Spitfire project, but they had the 4x100mm lug spacing. I did some searching and found that Geo Metro rims had the correct 4 x 4.5" lug spacing I needed. Last Friday I took a loooonnnggg drive to get 3 rims from one salvage yard and the 4th from another. It was a nostalgia trip since I had to pass through my old hometown. I cleaned, painted the rims and had a local tire shop mount and balance the tires. The rear axle was a perfect fit. At this time, I found out my rear axle is off center, about 1/2" to the left. The Geo rims have too small a center bore to fit the front and I considered boring them out, but it would have put the tire very close to the spring with possible rubbing. I ordered a set of KAX 1" spacers but they had the raised center flange so I had to chuck them in the lathe and remove that. All 4 rims/tires fit fine. I can still drop the sides without rubbing on the tires. The front has a full range of turning motion without rubbing. I may have some fender rubbing up front in some situations, but I'll figure that out when/if it happens. With the wider tires and spacers I'll have about a 2-1/2 inch wider track. I drove up and down my street up to 40 kph a couple of times and it felt just fine. This is going to be a work truck on trails in the woods.

9. Kevin in NC

I'm trying to add a photo but I'm obviously doing something wrong. The file is below the stated max size but still won't load.

10. Kevin in NC

Well, duh... maybe I need to drink less. Or drink more.

Attached Files:

Drain and Bookworm like this.
  11. Kevin in NC

Another view without my smiling dog Bailey.

Attached Files:

12. Kevin in NC

Another. I may get some fender rub if I corner hard or hit a bump.

Attached Files:

13. Bookworm

Bookworm New Member

I kinda like pics with dogs in them...:)

t_g_farrell likes this.
  14. Kauai Kei

Kauai Kei Member

Paid to have a shop install a replacement carb....which appears to have fixed my long-running sputter/backfire issue. Huzzah!

Or not quite Huzzah... the problem still exists, but is now limited to when it starts off the line. Good thing I'm not doing much drag racing. :) So, I guess it's progress, but not completely solved.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  15. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

Hello Everyone! I’m going to go into details on how to replace and upgrade your old worn out engine frame mounts on a Daihatsu Hijet S83P. Now I’m not talking about the motor mounts. This is the round tube that bolts to the frame. There’s a upper and lower rubber, I have tried to get new ones but no success. All of your aftermarket body bushings are made of 90A polyurethane. I have searched and searched for the right heights and diameter, but no success. I even called a few places to have them made, forget that!!! $$$$$ bukoo bucks!! So I started looking at poly rod. Different sizes, colors and hardness. After doing a lot of internet search’s and calling off road racing places. They all recommended using 85A to 95A polyurethane for my mounts, it’s not to hard and not to soft. I found a company that sells all types of polyurethane shapes, sizes and colors. I measured my old body rubbers with a calipers and it read 1.900 inch. My options where either 2” or 1 3/4” O.D. After looking at the frame and putting a stack of 2” & 1 3/4” washers up their and looking at it, the 2” washers looked just a little wider than the frame & the 1 3/4” washers looked at lot nicer and clean looking. I ordered the polyurethane rod in 90A red to dress the look up. Order 3 feet of it, which was about $85 with tax/shipping. The poly rod got here within a week. Now the work begins. Pulled the first mount off, I found the inter bushing sleeves were old, rusting so bad they were flaking out, being in rural America, we don’t have a lowes or Home cheapo to go too! So started asking farmers around town if they had any old pipe or round stock. I found a piece for free!!!$$$& score$$$, I measured the old ones and cut the new ones, cleaned them up on the grinder and wire wheel. In the pictures you will see the calipers on the old bushing sleeves and new sleeves, the old rubber & new polyurethane bushings. Next I measured the old top rubber for thickness and the bottom thickness. The only thing that the new bushing don’t do is
    Slip down into the eyelet like the old rubber bushings. I got all five cut to specs (actually cut 5 uppers and 5 lowers) remember you upper bushings are the thicker ones. I also used 2 1 3/4” round x 1/8” thick washer, in between the frame, one on top of the lower & one on the bottom of the upper. Now drilling your poly rod out for the bushing sleeve. Due to my drill press being down. I used a vise but when you put the poly rod (soon to be bushing) in the vise don’t tighten it down tight, just snug! Just enough it won’t spin when drilling out. I used four different drill bits to bore it out and stepped up in size each time. (I tried a 3/4” spade bit the on the first one and ruined it) so no spade bit, maybe on a drill press. Got them all bored out and checked to see if the sleeves all fit tight, you don’t want your sleeves to wobble around inside the bushing. Everything is all ready to install now.:)o_O Now you have 3 on the right side of the mini and two on the left side. I start with the one on the right side furthest back. I used a little dielectric grease on the inside of each bushing. My old bushings were dry rotted and shot. First one is in and looks good. Make sure to use a jack of some sort to raise up and let down the engine frame, the right front side is a little hard to do, I recommend taking the right front wheel off. Now the left side, there’s only two theback one is easy to do but the front one, you need to take the skid plate off to get to it, but don’ttighten the back one up all the way, otherwise the you can’t get the front one completely off, I used my floor jack and lowered the whole thing downput both new ones in the front and rear and thenjacked it back up to tight the bolts( make sure tostart the bolts before raising the jack all the way up, makes it easier to adjust things. I used all new bolts and retaining washers with some blue loctite, now putting the skid plate back I also used blue loctite. I now have a lot lease mystery noises andrattles, little blue mini seams to ride better and looks better. Hope this helps anyone out therewith this problem!

Attached Files:

t_g_farrell and Bookworm like this.
  16. t_g_farrell

Nice work but you may want revisit those sleeves to get thicker walled stock. Those look pretty thin. Time will tell I guess and sometimes you have to make do. Same bolts so I assume they will have some possible movement within the new sleeves.

17. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

Yes thin walled but I took a test run at one with the hydraulic press and it took 396 psi to crush it, but still looking for some rolled hardened steel sleeves. I found some heavy equipment bolts, grade 8 bolts that are the same thread pattern.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  18. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

Yes! Clean the battery terminals yearly and add a protector to prevent corrosion and a battery tender helps save the battery.

19. Kauai Kei

Kauai Kei Member

Added this shifter knob I found on Amazon, just because...

[​IMG]

Nautydog1 likes this.
  20. t_g_farrell

Link? Does it fit?

21. Kauai Kei

Kauai Kei Member

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JFG2PTB

It fits....comes with adapters, but they aren't needed. Looks like the lever threads are a standard M12x1.25

Note that this ball style shifter is a lot shorter top-to-bottom than the stock one, so you will see some threads under the ball once it's on. I ended up wrapping the exposed threads in gaffer tape.

Just realized the shift lever threads are supposedly the exact same as the wheel lugs. When I get home I'm going to see if one of my spare open-end lug nuts will fit the shifter. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Nautydog1 likes this.
  22. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

Need a 4 speed shifter like that!

23. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

What’s the part number for your headlights

CVP33 likes this.
  24. t_g_farrell

I'm getting the black and white knob and one of these spacers to use to hide the threads and capture the shift boot too. Thanks for the tip on the shift knob. Just measured mine and it M12x1.25 as you said.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ8MCQ...colid=H983UF7PDP7R&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Kauai Kei likes this.
  25. CVP33

CVP33 Active Member

Done

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  26. CVP33

CVP33 Active Member

Done

27. D Hall

D Hall New Member

Lots of projects going on with the ‘98 Hijet right now, but two little changes are making a huge difference.
    1. Bought a cheap clip-on panorama rear view mirror from Amazon. Huge difference being able to see out the back.
    2. Swapped the rear tailgate chains for some a pair of tailgate straps off my Hilux. I put in a open/close assist system for the tailgate and the old straps were redundant- glad I kept them and found a use for them.

28. t_g_farrell

Added new bling to the van

new_shift_ball.jpg

CVP33 likes this.
  29. CVP33

CVP33 Active Member

Done

30. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Parked him. Coming home from work the tone of the noise coming up from the front end changed about a block from the house. Not the “ it broke” kind of sound, more of a “look at me” kind of sound.

Might be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to look at it. Work just went nuts. We have a thousand firefighters in for the Moose fire, so things are kind of hectic, with guys like me who don’t do fire, trying to fill behind the guys who do.

CVP33 likes this.